Should I upgrade my 20 yr old plotter ?

Offshore

My 20 year old NavNet VX2 10 inch still works OK but I'm wondering if I should update the plotter and to which one ?
If I put a new one in will the bouy markings, the red nd greens, be a lot bigger or brighter ?
My old one works but the markings re kind of small.
Headed to the Bahamas in Jan for a return trip.
Yjanks for the help

Just helped my friend upgrade from a Vx2 to a TzT2 (he was able to get a good deal on one). I upgraded my last boat from Vx2 as well.

The difference is night and day, you will not be disappointed. Understand that you will likely need a new radar unit (if you have one) and could have challenges with the sounder. My buddies old sounder needed to be updated so we just removed it and used the internal sounder in the TzT2.

A budget option is the TZT3, but if you've got the money I would add as big a TXTXL as you can.

You said
A budget option is the TZT3
But isn't the 3 more expensive that the 2 ?
Which radar did you change to ?
How much bigger does the mounting hole need to be for the 2 ?

The TZT2 is no longer sold new unless you find old stock. (with exception of TZT2BB which has same processor and memory as TZT3)

So Johnny
Will there be a big difference in the bouys, bigger, brighter especially bouys from my VZ2 to the TZTS ?
I have 2 VZ2 plotters. I was thinking of just changing one for chart plotting and leaving the other for my existing radar that isn't used in Florida.
What do you of others think ?

TZTs offer a lot more control over the buoys and color schemes when using vector charts. Raster charts are a scanned version so not flexible unless we are talking about the new TZTXL then even the Rasters have flexibility. TZTs are a completely different realm than Vx2. Fast with no redraw and lots of settings to customize.

You said
A budget option is the TZT3
But isn't the 3 more expensive that the 2 ?
Which radar did you change to ?
How much bigger does the mounting hole need to be for the 2 ?
He went with the DRS2DNXT 19" radar. The install of the new unit was different than the VX2 so I can't help with the cutout size question.

Back