Should radar sensor power use same breaker as TFT2?

J

JordanBigel

I'm installing new gear in my sailboat including a DRS4D-NXT and a TFTL12F - and a new NMEA2000 network with various other devices.

I already have wired one breaker switch to power the NMEA2000 backbone. My old radar (CRT tube based) used a single breaker switch to power the radome and the display.

My initial instinct was to wire the new DRS4D power leads and the TFT2 power leads to the same breaker. But now I am not sure.

I'm interested in learning what others do when it comes to wiring breakers or power switches for their TFT2 and other related hardware.

I'm wondering if I might like to use the TFT2 while at anchor, or in the marina planning a voyage. Looking at the chart plotter should not require that power be delivered to the radar sensor, right?

There is no technical reason why I cannot power the radar sensor and the TFT2 separately, as far as I can tell. Can you guys confirm this?

I only have plans for one single TFT2 - and the ethernet cable from the radar sensor will go directly to the TFT2 (someday, I may spring for a second TFT2 and then add an ethernet Hub, but for now, its direct) - so, if I power the radar sensor, but don't turn on the TFT2, there's no harm in that, but the radar won't be doing me any good, as far as I can tell - but I want to make sure its not a mistake for some reason I cannot see.

Thanks!
Jordan
S/V Queen Jane
Chula Vista, CA

I'm also interested to learn about powering the TFT2 from the CANBus. The manual for the TFT has a note which says this is possible, but only if you are delivering 15vdc on your CANBus. Who does that? How would one do that - a DC/DC converter? What are the pros and cons? Does other NMEA2000 equipment, other devices, able to handle 15vdc on a regular basis, assuming I did install a DC/DC converter to power the CAN bus?

Thanks in advance!
Jordan.

There is no technical reason why I cannot power the radar sensor and the TFT2 separately, as far as I can tell. Can you guys confirm this?

Yes, you can power the radar sensor separately and many do it that way.

I'm also interested to learn about powering the TFT2 from the CANBus
You can't power the unit from the NMEA 2000 canbus. You must use the power cable provided.

Does other NMEA2000 equipment, other devices, able to handle 15vdc on a regular basis, assuming I did install a DC/DC converter to power the CAN bus?

NMEA 2000 is designed for 9-16v and some smaller units can get their power from the bus. The TZT2 is not a small unit.

Back