Setting chart master?

Bayhouse

Furuno Super Fan
On my new install, I have a Port TZT19F and a Starboard TZT19F (each set with a different name). I've turned the chart master setting OFF on the port TZT3 and have it ON for the Starboard. However, the Port TZT continues to report 'No Chart Master detected' in Settings.

This has persisted through several on/off cycles including when I boot up Starboard fully before starting port. Is there another setting somewhere?

So to double check, make sure you are seeing both MFDs show up in the sensor list (HOME > SETTINGS > INITIAL SETUP > SENSOR LIST).

You want to see the SID of the STBD MFD show up in the Port MFD under HOME > SETTINGS > INITIAL SETUP (at the bottom). If the master toggle is off and no SID is listed, check your network connection and/or your network hub/switch. They both should be connected to the same hub. At the extreme, just run a ethernet cable between the two plotters. In addition, check to make sure both plotters are running close to the same version of software. (see quick self-test) and both have a SD Card in the back of the unit.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Maggy,

Both MFD's show up in the sensor list of each MFD. Working from memory, "(Me)" shows on the active device and the other one is there but not highlighted. Very confident that both are on the same SW version, are connected to the same hub and also have the SD cards inserted - but will double check when I'm back at the boat.

Also attaching pics I took (but forgot about) this past weekend. I don't have one of the sensor list, but again noted that all of the network devices were listed.
PXL_20220416_184816541.jpg
PXL_20220416_184755796.jpg

Bayhouse":tyojorib said:
Maggy,

Both MFD's show up in the sensor list of each MFD. Working from memory, "(Me)" shows on the active device and the other one is there but not highlighted. Very confident that both are on the same SW version, are connected to the same hub and also have the SD cards inserted - but will double check when I'm back at the boat.

So when you get back on the boat, it may just automatically resolve itself with a optimistic positive attitude :) :D . Otherwise, just check that the switch/hub is powered on and everything is blinking, than toggle chart master on and off between the two to see if it jostles it.

As an aside, I looked up the SID you posted in the photo, there is currently no charts purchased against that unit's ID so if it were working you might not even notice because nothing has been unlocked (which could or could not be contributing to the issue).

- Maggy

Magnetron":2ccwjhlx said:
Bayhouse":2ccwjhlx said:
As an aside, I looked up the SID you posted in the photo, there is currently no charts purchased against that unit's ID so if it were working you might not even notice because nothing has been unlocked (which could or could not be contributing to the issue).

- Maggy

Maggy - hhhmmm, I have not purchased any charts. I am planning to see what I get with the stock delivered charts and decide later if I wanted/needed to buy something else. In this case, do I infer from your message that the Chart Master setting really only applies to purchased Charts?

I don't know the SID of the port MFD so I can't look that one up. Essentially, either plotter could be set to master or not right now and it would make no difference; either have the capability of rendering what's available now on their chart cards without a master setup.

If the port side was set as master previously and the STBD didn't complain, maybe for now set it all back to the way it was until you're ready to purchase a chart IMHO.

Just a thought, :sail

- Maggy

Thanks again Maggy - for now, I won't designate one as the Master. If/When I buy charts, I'll set one to be the master.

Our guidance for folks trying to figure it out is as such:

"The MFD that you most typically go to first when boarding the vessel should be designated as Data Master." ;)

If/When charts are purchased, they are purchased against that SID. If the plotter is sold, than the charts licensed to that SID will go to the new owner as well.

- Maggy

Had a revelation yesterday as I was testing the just-installed radar.

I noticed in the sensor list on the Port TZT3, the BBWX4, DFF3D, and the STBD TZT3 were listed but were grayed out. In the sensor list on the STBD TZT3, the Port side TZT3 was listed, grayed out and had a red icon on it.

Came to the conclusion my field made Cat6 cable must have failed and the grayed out images were previously known devices but no longer available on the network. Does this sound correct?

The Radar was not previously known to the Port TZT3 and was only available on STBD (and worked fine).

Yes that sounds correct. Everything discussed so far reflects that they are not clearly talking over the network together. A bad network cable could definitely cause that.

Bayhouse":2i44wc3k said:
Came to the conclusion my field made Cat6 cable must have failed and the grayed out images were previously known devices but no longer available on the network. Does this sound correct?

This has happened to me in the stress of trying to get something working while on the boat. Best thing you can do is relax, try again using what you got first :cool. Sit down, maybe just pin it out pin-by-pin. Or for the moment, use a bypass cable, even if it's plastic connectors just to prove it works before you replace that cable with what gtstang462002 says,

gtstang462002":2i44wc3k said:
Furuno also recommends the use of shielded CAT 5/6 cabling with the proper shielded metal connectors also.

If you have something like the Klein Tools RJ45 Network Cable Testers for Lan Phone, that's even better because you can just test the cable right after you crimp it. Or test a cable that's recently been pulled through the boat.

*Note, when making shielded CAT5E/6 it is important on a final cable to drop a dab of solder on the end of the connector to fuse it to the shielding.

Hope this helps,

- Maggy

Back