Sensor Update Probelms

Quitsa

Furuno Super Fan
Has anyone else had a problem trying to update their radar software with the new software that was posted recently? My TZT 3s crash and reboot after the sensor updater starts loading (after pushing "Update Network Equipment").

Curious as to whether anyone else has had the problem. It does the same thing if I try to run it on the TZT 2 at my tower helm.

I have been in contact with Furuno tech support to try and resolve the issue but I am curious if anyone else has experienced it and especially if they found a fix.

I downloaded the software directly from the Furuno USA website, unzipped it, copied to USB and it updated two radars and sounder that I had connected on our bench. The software works. I don't recommend getting it anywhere near a Mac (Apple) machine or using memory sticks that might be excessive large (32GB is about the largest I ever try to use) and beware of the format used on the USB. Some cheap memory like PNY and Kingston have been to known to have problems in USB and SD card format. Brand of the memory can matter sometimes. Ensure you have good solid internet connection when downloading and hopefully it will start working for you. Trying two diffrent machines points to the download itself (maybe corrupted) being an issue or something with the memory use (Brand or formatting).

Thanks. I will confess to using a Macbook. However, note that I have never had a problem in the past when downloading and extracting the unit software updates for the TZT2 and TZT3 or for the sensor update for the DFF-3D last year.

Probably worth a try to find a friend with a Windows computer to download and create the USB drive with the sensor updater.

Johnny Electron":1ho0hlvt said:
Ensure you have good solid internet connection when downloading and hopefully it will start working for you. Trying two diffrent machines points to the download itself (maybe corrupted) being an issue or something with the memory use (Brand or formatting).

Johnny is it possible to have an MD5 hash applied and publicly posted for the downloads. That is the easiest way to identify corrupted/compromised downloads. Though it may add a level of complexity for non-computer savvy users to figure out how to hash a file. It will not fix the issues that seem to plague the apple user community with updates though.

It is unfortunate that when Apple started using its own processor in the new Macbooks, they lost the ability to run Windows in a Bootcamp partition. In the old days when updates could only be done with a PC, that's what I used to do.

Apple is up to 15% market share of PCs now in the US. It would be nice if Furuno ensured compatibility or at least had working W-Fi software updates that could be downloaded and installed by the TZT 3 directly.

My last try will be using a download and USB drive that was 100% Windows from start to finish once my neighbor has a chance to create it for me with his vintage IBM Thinkpad.

I agree the wifi update is important and still promised. The last word from the parent company is the servers will start working sometime in August for that feature.

Johnny Electron":11mscnvu said:
I agree the wifi update is important and still promised. The last word from the parent company is the servers will start working sometime in August for that feature.

Well it was indeed some sort of Mac related issue as you suspected. The USB drive my neighbor made for me using his PC loaded and ran fine on the TZT 3 and I now have the new radar software on my DRS25A-NXT.

Thanks for the help.

Johnny Electron":1s6kxn4d said:
Awesome, very happy to hear. Have great weekend. :jump

That nameless "Brand A" company fixed this issue several years ago and now their software update cards can be created on a Mac or PC with no issues. I owned their product at the time and I remember when you had to have a PC top make the update card for their system too.

My son who owns a software company says it is quite easy to do....

Back