SCX-20 Hardtop Mounting Location

MikeT

Is it ok to Mount the SCX-20 directly on the hardtop without constructing an additional mounting surface? My hardtop is flat in the area that the SCX-20 is being mounted.
Is it ok to mount the SCX-20 not on centerline? I want to mount it Forward and to Starboard as shown in the pictures.
Also the hardtop slopes a bit to starboard... judging by the pictures what do you think? The area behind the mast light is not flat as it curves to each side and the roof mount is not flat to that surface.

20240526_152603.jpg20240526_152636.jpg

Be careful of that LED spot light as they are known to send out a ton of RF. The SCX20 should be 3 ft from that VHF antenna by NMEA 0400 standards. Ensure that is outside the beam of the radar (looks like it might be below the beam but hard to tell). Yes, you can mount it directly on the top.

Be careful of that LED spot light as they are known to send out a ton of RF. The SCX20 should be 3 ft from that VHF antenna by NMEA 0400 standards. Ensure that is outside the beam of the radar (looks like it might be below the beam but hard to tell). Yes, you can mount it directly on the top.
The ACR Spotlight is not LED..... How many inches below the Radar is good? A 24" NXT Radar is taking the place of the raymarine radar.

It has to do with angle. Check with Ray about the vertical degrees of the beam and make sure the top of the SCX is below that angle. Given it isn't LED, you might go forward a bit if you need to get more distance from that VHF (Or AIS whip) that is there. Otherwise, looks good.

It has to do with angle. Check with Ray about the vertical degrees of the beam and make sure the top of the SCX is below that angle. Given it isn't LED, you might go forward a bit if you need to get more distance from that VHF (Or AIS whip) that is there. Otherwise, looks good.
The Antenna that you are seeing in the middle of the hardtop is a FM Radio antenna.

I'm replacing the Raymarine Radar with the Furuno DRS4D-NXT.. What angle is the beam for that Radar?

From the Furuno letters it will have about 11 degrees downward angle that you would want to be under. (22degree vert beam, 11 up 11 down)
If only receive Radio whip, then no problem. It is transmitting sources that you must be aware of.

From the Furuno letters it will have about 11 degrees downward angle that you would want to be under. (22degree vert beam, 11 up 11 down)
If only receive Radio whip, then no problem. It is transmitting sources that you must be aware of.
Thank you very much... One other question. The Hardtop slopes down to starboard 4 to 5 degrees. Can that angle be compensated with the offsets? is that considered heave?

You shouldn't have to worry about 4 or 5 degrees. It won't be considered heave (up and down) data. If displaying roll and it doesn't level out on it's own, you can offset it easy if connected to a NavNet 2/3/XL via the menu.

You shouldn't have to worry about 4 or 5 degrees. It won't be considered heave (up and down) data. If displaying roll and it doesn't level out on it's own, you can offset it easy if connected to a NavNet 2/3/XL via the menu.
Thank you for your help. I'm installing the SCX-20 with a NavPilot 300 so I can use the autopilot for trolling. It will not be connected to A MFD until the TZT16X becomes available. Any rumblings about when they should come to market?

I have seen a lot of 22" and 24" going out the door but haven't heard anything about the other sizes. The Navpilot 300 is a great value and if using Fantum feedback at 3knots or better, you will love it. Anything under 3 knots, plan on adding a RRU.

I checked for the 11 deg beam angle and the SCX-20 is out of the lower beam by a fairly large margin...
I'm very happy with the customer support offered by Furuno. Before deciding on Furuno for my electronic upgrade for my boat I was considering . other Manufacturers for the boat. I've read and have first hand knowledge of the customer support issues with these other Manufacturers. I called a support line from one of these manufacturers to ask a question about installation concern I had. Was on hold for an hour and finally hung up.
That's when I decided to go with Furuno and glad I did.

Back