Scanning Sonar damaging transducer for bottom machine?

aaronp

Is it plausible that a CSH-8L transceiver could damage the transducers of nearby 1kw (or 2kw) bottom machines? Especially if the tilt is left horizontal/in plane of the victim transducer for an extended period. (Pick any retail airmar fishfinder type transducer as the victim)

If so, what is the minimum safe range between the sonar transceiver and the bottom machine transducers? I believe the KP transmit trigger may be intended to protect the units, but this is just a WAG.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Good afternoon Aaronp,

Thank you for the inquiry. To date we have not seen the 8L sonar damage other fishfinder transducer (facing down) that I know of. We have quite a few systems out there and we have not had any indication this is an issue or the case, damaging a fish finder transducer with the 8L sonar when the separation distance is close.

The installation manual does not have a recommendation for separation distance between the 8L transducer and other transducers, the train of through is the further the separation the better. But this really has to do with interference between the equipment rather than damaging equipment when it comes to sonars and fish finders.

Do you have a scenario that you are trying to figure out for a new install?

Do you have any diagrams that you can provide with the relationship between sonar transducer and the fish finder transducer?

C-Bass

This relates to an existing install. One airmar transducer failed in June and the replacement has recently had erratic readings but then tested good by the tech yesterday. It could be interference affecting auto gain control which may have been difficult to determine at 1000 fathoms. Further testing warranted, but current indications are no damage to transducer. Airmar product support has also never seen such an issue, so I believe this was just a faulty hypothesis.

Back