SafeHelm2 ?s

Bright Idea

I have a Nav Pilot 300 in my center console dory that is operational. I am considering the SafeHelm2 sensor for the following reasons and want to make sure I fully understand its capability and installation requirements.
This will allow manual steering such as dodging a crab pot while the pilot is in Nav Mode and then return to the Nav Mode at a pre specified time interval ?

Will it work while simply set on a heading, navigating to a waypoint, or navigating a route ?

The sensor is installed in either the port or starboard helm hydraulic line preferably in a horizontal position and below the helm ? Is this correct ?

electrical/control wiring is configured with 4 wire connections to existing unused wires on the processor Harness ?

Just like to clarify that I understand the value of installing this in the system prior to purchase.

Thanks

All correct. I always tell people the easiest way to understand is think of it as pausing your pilot's navigation when you must manually steer around something. When you point the helm back on course and the set interval expires (say five seconds) it will resume the navigation. For the Navpilot 300 if you want power assist mode, you must have an RRU installed; otherwise it is strictly SafeHelm.

I have it on two boats and that is the main reason I put it on the boat is to dodge crab pots offshore. It works great on both boats. It's also nice for readjusting your autopilot to a different heading.

I installed the SafeHelm2 just recently. The power assist works just fine without a RRU. I have a single outboard and use the phantom feedback, no RRU. I had a very hard time finding any detailed description of exactly what the power assist does. It does not act like power steering as some descriptions seem to imply. What it does is increase the movement of the outboard without changing the resistance felt at the wheel. Essentially, it reduces your lock-to-lock number of turns without increasing the effort required to turn the wheel. You can set it to only operate below certain speeds. I have mine set to operate at very low speeds only. This makes docking easier since I am often making extreme movements when maneuvering in tight spaces with a single engine on a 25' boat and now I can get more movement without having to spin the wheel so many times. It's nice.

Other features/functions work as you described.

Yes it does. If functions perfectly. I've seen no mention of a RRU being required in any literature. Although, most of it is out of date since most of it still says you need a specific pump, which is no longer required. I have a basic Octopus pump.

We don't have the newest software loaded in ours but maybe yours does. The last time I tested it wouldn't boost from standby without RRU information. This isn't part of a Suzuki system where they are providing rudder position information is it?

We don't have the newest software loaded in ours but maybe yours does. The last time I tested it wouldn't boost from standby without RRU information. This isn't part of a Suzuki system where they are providing rudder position information is it?
Negative. I have a TZT-3 with the autopilot and a 2003 Yamaha HPDI. No power steering or anything else. Nothing fancy.

Back