RUDDER ANGLE ERROR on NavPilot 511

L

leon-pat

Hi,

Since a few days I have the following message: RUDDER ANGLE ERROR on my NavPilot 511.

The installation consists of:

Processor Fap-5002
Unit Control Fap-5011
Lecomb & Schmitt 50ST20 LS Linear Drive
RRU linear (I think provided by Lecomb & Schmitt)
Compass PG-500

If I understand correctly this error happens when the rudder angle sent from the rudder reference unit exceeded 55°

Have you ever had this type of error?

What should I check to correct this problem?

Thank you (sorry for my english)

I recommend starting with the pilot in STBY. Setup your view on the pilot so you can see the rudder angle (not rudder Dev). Turn your helm by hand from hard over to hard over. Do you see the rudder angle indicator move every single degree from port to starboard?

Hi,
How do i know that i see the rudder angle and not the rudder dev?
Thank you

Thank you for this return, the skipper did a test and he confirms to me that he sees the degrees change on the display.

On the hydraulic cylinder there is a linear feedback, how to configure the type of RRU, linear or rotary?

Best regards

On the hydraulic cylinder there is a linear feedback, how to configure the type of RRU, linear or rotary?

If you have a linear feedback unit, the pilot would be setup for linear in the settings. If the captain is getting good feedback turning hard over to hard over then the RRU does not appear to be the problem. It is odd to see someone with a linear feedback (normally used for outboards) with a Linear Drive unit.

At this stage, I would recommend you re-accomplish the dockside setup again and try the rudder test. If you still get rudder angle error, then the problem is most likely related to the Linear Drive or the pilot itself. You might try running the linear drive direct to power and see if it works. If it does then the pilot might need to come in for repair evaluation.

I re-made the dockside setup and I had an error during the final test.
For the dockside setup I have:
Drive unit: Reversible 24V
Select RRU: Linear sensor (but with rotary it's the same thing)
Aligning rudder sensor: I find the zero that corresponds to the rudder physically centered.
On the other hand the sensor is very sensitive, when it moves 1cm the displayed rudder angle is 20 ° or more whereas physically the rudder has not moved more than 5 °.
If I turn the rudder to the maximum the displayed angle exceeds 40 ° and flashes.
Boat type: sailboat (is catamaran catana 50)
Boat Length: 50 feet
Maximum speed: 20kt
Rudder limit setup: by rereading the procedure I think I did not do it correctly. I did not turn the rudder fully on port and starboard before selecting angles.

I'll do it again this afternoon and I'll tell you if it works.

Thanks for your help.

i re-made the dockside setup and all is ok

Indeed I had not turned the rudder fully on port before specifying the maximum angle and the same for starboard.

The pilot must calculate the variation of the feedback during this phase.

Thanks for your help.

Back