RRU for Pilot 300....when needed?

aquabelle

Furuno Super Fan
I'm evaluating the Navpilot 300 for my inboard twin diesels hydraulic steering boat. The specs on my existing pump look to be well within the 300's capabilities. I'm now trying to understand why a Rudder Ref Unit is required sometimes but not always...could someone explain please?

Also my existing RRU-- non Furuno--is a pretty standard 2 wire + signal potentiometer type with +/- 1 degree accuracy and +/- 60degree range. Is there a way of assessing its compatibility with the Pilot 300 other than suck-and-see ?

For the Navpilot 300, the RRU is required UNLESS you have an outboard engine setup. The installation manual (para 1.3.5) about Fantum Feedback says it is only for outboards. Down further it does make an exception for inboard/outboards (which I have seen it work well on without an RRU). Without an RRU you will not be able to have a Rudder angle display on the NP300. Unlike the 700 series, it doesn't require the RRU for the fishing patterns.

Also my existing RRU-- non Furuno--is a pretty standard 2 wire + signal potentiometer type with +/- 1 degree accuracy and +/- 60degree range. Is there a way of assessing its compatibility with the Pilot 300 other than suck-and-see ?

As long as it's ohm value of the RRU is between 5 and 50K ohms, it should work. The normal Furuno RRU is roughly a 2.2k ohm POT. We use resistive feedback sensors not frequency. The RRU should not itself be powered, it should be a simple resistive swing from hard over to hard over changing in value.

Hello, I am also going to add NavPilot 300 for my inboard twin diesels hydraulic steering boat. Will sabiki boat work with RRU? Thanks

tayfunmeric-
While we have not tested inboards here in the USA it was tested on a large Hatteras in Japan and it worked perfect.

Also, If you are using the SC33 there is no need for the PG500.

I am not understanding how Sabiki mode could work with inboard setup unless you have pods. Can you elaborate about the Hatteras they tested?
Lee

Back