Recovering from a settings import mistake

mikewoolf

Hello, I just updated my TZT2 15F (the master) and 12F software from the original version (5.0-something) to 8.01. I update both devices, with only one powered on at a time, having previously saved the setting so I can restore them later. It all seemed to go fine, except of course that my settings were all wonky because I hadn't yet restored them. Then came the mistake: I powered off the units, plugged the USB drive containing the settings file into the 15F, and turned on the unit. This apparently entered some sort of update mode, oops. So (second mistake), I pulled the USB drive out, and turned off the 15F. Ever since then, the 15F won't fully boot. The initial splash screen comes up, the orange progress bar makes it about a 1/4 way across the screen, then everything goes black, with the power button completely unlit (neither green nor orange). Presumably I corrupted the system somehow. So I tried reinstalling the system (8.01 again) from scratch. It all seemed to go well (all the right messages during the update), but the system still won't boot. The 12F (to which I did not commit this mistake) does turn on and boot up without trouble. Granted this is my fault, but how do I fix it?

I did something like that once. Make sure you have the unit that won't reboot completely disconnected from all external connections. When you say you tried applying the update from "scratch," did you download the update files again, format a USB stick (a small capacity one of 8mb ideally) and copy the new downloaded update files to it? That worked for me. I am not sure why but it did. It may be that there are some files copied to the USB stick in the update process or that the update itself gets corrupted when interrupted.

Another thing to try is pushing the power button to bring up the shutdown menu before everything goes black and using it to power off the unit instead of just killing the power, which is what I am guessing you have had to do after it hangs. Then restart with the new USB stick and try to install the update.

Back