RECOMMENDED AUTOPILOT WITH OLDER NAVNET 2 GEAR

A

Anonymous

I have a nice RDP 139 with a 4-foot open array antenna and a FCV 1100 sounder on my 27-foot offshore fishing boat, I use a Northstar 957 chart plotter for normal navigation. I think my Furuno gear offers me quality radar and depth sounder although not state-of-the-art, they do the job.

I need to replace the Raymarine 5000x autopilot and want something that is compatible with my existing gear (if possible). I also feel I'm missing something without having AIS visuals on my RDF 139.

My autopilot should have programmed trolling patterns and also be reliable for high speed (30+-knots) cruising.

I'm considering the value in upgrading to a used vx2 display and a newer chart to replace the RDP. Maybe that could take the place of my Northstar for normal navigation.

What do you recommend I do to get a good operable system>

many thanks,

- Ridhard

ADDENDUM TO POST - NAVNET GEAR After looking around for a vx2 149 I may not find a low priced ($1,200) unit to replace my vx1 139. Therefore I would appreciate help specifying a compatible autopilot that would interface with both Navnet vx1 and vx2. I have a PG 100 also. Thanks.

Ridhard
The NavPilot 700 series (700,711 or 720) would be a good choice. It works using NMEA 0183 and/or NMEA 2000. It would work with your existing RDP139 (NavNet 1), Vx2, NavNet 3D or NavNet TZtouch. (other brand plotters too) The pilot is very flexible and can be used without a rudder reference unit if you have an outboard. If your existing pilot uses a normal reversible pump; the NavPilot should have no problems using it. It would be best to talk over the details with your dealer or Furuno tech support.

Back