Radar target rotating

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I have a rdp-139 with an rsb-0071 scanner. When begin to transmit, the radar works correcty, but after about 1/2 hour of run time, the targets on the display begin to rotate around the screen a couple of degrees for every rotation of the scanner. after the unit is shut off for a while, the radar can be restarted and will work correctly again for another short period of time.

I believe that the motor for the scanner has a pulse generator an i am wondering if this is beginning to malfunction, or if it is more common for the display to not read the pulses correctly once it warms up. some input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

it is most likely the motor losing bearing pulses but it could be anything down the chain including the display that processes them. If you had another 10" display to try with the scanner would help you narrow things down.

Thank you for the reply. I pulled the cover off the dome today and noticed that the rotation sensor was sitting a little low. Bent the bracket back up to bring the sensor a bit closer to the magnet on the antenna. Ran the radar for 3 hours and the problem is gone.

Great!
It sounds like you found the problem. That is what we call the reed relay. It creates the heading pulse one time per antenna rotation. Like bearing pluses from the motor, it is needed to draw the radar sweep properly. There is no doubt in my mind that :jump you just fixed your radar.

Back