Question re Heading input forTZT9F

SailorDoc

I have just purchased TZT9F and DRS2D-NXT radar. Waiting until early Spring to install.

I currently have a relatively new fluxgate rate compass (COMNAV SSRC1) with a relatively new autopilot (COMNAV P2C).

(The brochure for COMNAV SSRC1 compass suggests it outputs HEADING in both NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 formats. I am following up with COMNAV for more info about this.)

The installation manual for the TZT9F is a bit confusing/contradictory re HEADING input:

"Heading input to TZT9F allows functions such as Radar Overlay and course stabiliza-
tion (North up, etc.) in the radar operating modes. The NMEA0183 heading refresh
rate needs to be 100 ms in order for any radar function to work properly. NMEA0183
heading can be accepted on any CAN bus port at a baud rate up to 38400 bps."

Does this mean the TZT9F can accept HEADING input in unconverted NMEA0183 format?

Thanks.

No, that wording is not accurate. Nothing in the entire TZT/2/3 product line accepts NMEA0183 inputs. They all want NMEA2000.
If your COMNAV only outputs NMEA0183, you could use something like the IF-NMEA2K2 to convert that heading data from NMEA0183 over to NMEA2000.

the IF-NMEA2K2 will be required and make sure to follow the directions for the on page 4. https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/s...lic_manuals/installation_manual_ifnmea2k2.pdf
"Cut the PORT1 (ORG) High Speed / 38400bps"

I used two IF-NMEA2K2, one for Nav Pilot 500 and one for Mag compass PG 500, worked fine once you got it connected.
I replaced with the SCX20 and Navpilot 700, so the IF-NMEA2K2 were no longer needed.

I did not see the N2K being supported here, but might have missed.

Given you might have to buy the IF-NMEA2K2 , perhaps put that $$ towards the SCX20, adds heaving compensation to your sounder works great with the DRS2D-NXT and chart overlays.

Last edited:
Back