PG-500 or PG-700?

garthpaine

hi everyone - I am setting up

MFD12
MFD8
DRS4D
ACR AIS (N2K)

and wanting a heading sensor so I can get radar overlay on the MFD12. I have a B&G Precision heading sensor with N2K output - will that work? or should I move to. Furuno PG unit - if so would a 500 or 700 be better? or another option? thanks for your insight

Cheers, Garth

Hi Garth,
First off the older NN3D system like the MFD8/12 can not accept AIS via 2000. They are programming to accept 0183 AIS information. If you are going to connect the AIS to the NN3D, you will need to come up with 0183 data via a converter. For overlay, I am sure your B&G will work fine as long as the data is good.

would a 500 or 700 be better?

Cheers, Garth
When considering which Furuno heading sensor to choose. Bear in mind the following,

For a Fluxgate Magnetic Compass that supports NMEA0183 (IEC-61162-1) choose the PG500R,
For a Fluxgate Magnetic Compass that supports NMEA2000 choose the PG700,
For a Satellite Compass that supports NMEA0183 choose the SCX21,
For a Satellite Compass that supports NMEA2000 choose the SCX20.

There's advantages and disadvantages to either one...
A Fluxgate compass can provide heading without a line of sight to the sky, unlike a Satellite compass;
A Satellite compass isn't affected by ferrous metals, unlike the Fluxgate.

- Maggy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to you both for your input - much appreciated. I was confused as the MFD12 allows me to select the NMEA2k port as the AIS source - but from what I am understanding, it is not programmed to recognize those sentences.

I will try the B&G Precision 9 on N2K for heading as it has been stable and reliable in a previous install - admittedly talking to B&G gear, but the N2K sentences should be the same - right?

Back