Options for Wiring a DRS2D to MFD8

Yeti

My MFD8 is mounted on the helm pedestal in my sailboat. Current devices hooked into my NMEA 2000 system via a FI5002 junction box are the MFD8 itself, Furuno's Fi50 Depth/Speed/Wind instrument package, and Furuno's GP-330B GPS antenna.

I came across a great buy on Craiglist for a DRS2D radome. The unit also came with the #MOD-ASW0001 (power/LAN) two-way cable. The previous owner had the DRS2D radome wired directly to his MFD12, so a power supply module was not necessary as per Furuno.

My problem:
I have no more room inside my helm pedestal to run the large MOD-ASW0001 (power/LAN) cable up to my MFD8, and even if I had the room, fishing the this large cable would be a royal pain in the a$$ anyway, not to mention the long run from the radome to the MFD8.

Question:
Can I just wire the DRS2D to my NEMA 2000 network via the NMEA 2000 port inside the DRS2D, and add a PSU-017 power supply module to power the unit? In other words, I would be "ditching" the LAN cable in favor of the NMEA 2000 connection. Although I would need to purchase the PSU-017 power supply, this would be a waaaay easier install. Page 12 of the DRS2D Installation Manual ("Wiring for DRS2D/4D with PSU-017") states that a NMEA 2000 connection is "Optional Supply." I'm assuming this means optional over the LAN connection?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

You can not use N2K to transfer radar. You must connect the DRS2D as per instructions in the installation manual as it is a network device. There are no short cuts.

Melville":13ipn61a said:
You can not use N2K to transfer radar. You must connect the DRS2D as per instructions in the installation manual as it is a network device. There are no short cuts.
Thanks for clarifying N2K question.

As mentioned, my issue is trying to 'fish' the rather large, multi conductor MOD-ASW0001 cable up through my helm pedestal. Page 12 of the Installation Manual indicates that if I use a PSU-012 power supply, all I would need to run to the MFD8 would be a #MOD-WPAS0001-030 LAN cable. Is this correct? If so, 'fishing' the LAN cable (only) up the pedestal will be far easier than the larger multi conductor MOD-ASW0001.

Another question here...

My MFD8 is mounted on the helm pedestal ala natural, meaning on its factory bracket, exposed to the elements. All my existing connections have weather-proof caps that screw to the back of the unit. Upon inspection of the LAN cable that came with the DRS2D, it does not have a weather-proof cap on the MFD end. Furthermore, there's a small tag near the RJ45 plug at that same end that says, "Do Not Cut." In doing some online research, it appears Furuno offers this cable with a weather-proof cap at the MFD end.

Question:
Is this cap available to purchase separately? If so, to attach such a cap, the RJ45 plug would indeed need to be cut, and a new RJ45 connector attached. Attaching a new RJ45 connector is within my skill set, and I already own the specialty tools to do it. Your thoughts?

The MFD originally came with a network cable that had the weatherproof cap installed. Typically you would take that original cable and use a RJ45 coupler with the radar cable in a weather protected area, or project the joint. The weatherproof caps are molded to the cable so you can't just get the connector. You would want to order a replacement cable for the one that came with the unit. The 3 meter cable with weather connector is part number 000-164-609.

Thanks again Johnny.

I bought my MFD off eBay. It was an 'out of box' display model, new with warranty. Unfortunately however it came with no accessories other than the Owner's Manual.

I found the water proof LAN cable you speak of on ebay for $35, new and unused. The seller seemed to have a few of these for sale for some reason. Perhaps he's the same guy I bought the MFD8 from a few years ago. :mrgreen:

So if I understand you correctly, the only other item I need is the RJ45 coupler. I found several versions on Amazon, or is this some type of Furuno "marine" item available?

Next question...

As mentioned above, my MFD is mounted at my helm, but only when being used. Back at our home moorage, the MFD gets removed (due to fear of theft) and stowed below. All data/power cables at the helm get coiled up, weather capped, and neatly velcro'd to the pedestal until our next outing.

This most recent data/power cable set from the DRS2D (#MOD-ASW0001 cable for power, and #000-164-609 weather cable pigtail for data, see pics below) did not come with any weather caps to protect the cable ends when not in use. Does Furuno offer these caps?

MOD-ASW0001 cable end:

23j3mzk.jpg

000-164-609 cable end:

1z5np6o.jpg

The DRS weather pigtail cable (POWER and DATA) matches up with the DRS pigtail cable and normal self vulcanizing tape can be use over the top to ensure a sealed connection. The first cable you posted a photo of I don't immediately recognize. That isn't the DRS pigtail OR the scanner cable because the connector has power and data not just power as that one shows. At the end of the scanner cable where the RJ45 breaks out and bare wires for power people normally use weather RJ45 to RJ45 couplers like part number RJ4-5WP-CPL. The second photo you posted has one weather RJ45 that mates with the MFD. The other end would typically go into a weather coupler I just mentioned (RJ4-5WP-CPL).

Thanks Johnny, however I think there may be some confusion as to what I'm asking here and need. Bottom line, I need some cable end, protective rubber caps similar to the one shown in this pic:

24oo8jk.jpg

I need one for this cable end, which is MFD end of the #MOD-ASW0001 cable (power supply connector) from the DRS:

6qk7y8.jpg

And this cable end, which is the MFD end of the #000-164-609 cable (LAN connector) from the DRS:

1z5np6o.jpg

Again, I need these to protect the ends of the cable from weather when they are not connected to the MFD. Are these available from Furuno, or am I on my own on this?

Yeti":30zubw9h said:
Thanks Johnny, however I think there may be some confusion as to what I'm asking here and need. Bottom line, I need some cable end, protective rubber caps similar to the one shown in this pic:

24oo8jk.jpg

I need one for this cable end, which is MFD end of the #MOD-ASW0001 cable (power supply connector) from the DRS:

6qk7y8.jpg

And this cable end, which is the MFD end of the #000-164-609 cable (LAN connector) from the DRS:

1z5np6o.jpg

Again, I need these to protect the ends of the cable from weather when they are not connected to the MFD. Are these available from Furuno, or am I on my own on this?
OK, I gave this a week, so I guess the answer is no on the Furuno protective caps. Here's what "on your own" looks like for anybody else who may stumble across this same dilemma:

https://www.mcmaster.com/caps

Back