NN3D Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
With v2.07 (current) software; the tides and currents issue doesn't kick in unless you leave them turned "On" for many hours without ever turning them "Off". Somewhere about the 10 to 12 hour point you could have problems. It isn't a big issue as was in previous versions, and it only applies to the MFD8 and MFD12. The MFDBB no longer has this issue. With that said; the next version of NN3D software does address this and should be released "soon". When I say “soon”, I would guess within the next 60 to 90 days. v2.07 software is really good, and from what little I know about the next version; there won't be any huge changes. Keep in mind when you turn on the tides and/or currents function, you just turned on a ton of real time calculations at the processor. It is best to turn the feature(s) off when not being used.

November 2012 is now March 2013?

Hope the new version includes updated functionality for AIS.

Johnny,

As we celebrate v2.07's second birthday, yes, it has been a reasonably stable release.

But, bugs, and in particular, attitudes towards bugs fester over time. That's what has happened with NN3D and v2.07.

When we first started reporting issues with v2.07 in the spring of 2011, we were told that Furuno Japan is putting NN3D on an annual release schedule, hence we'll have to wait until early 2012 for bug fixes. The next message in early 2012 was the engineers are working on TZT and will get to NN3D bug fixes, probably August, then November. Here we are at 24 months since v2.07 release still waiting.

Patience runs thin in 24 months time.

There are 5 bugs I've noted/reported all over 1 year ago.

1) Tide overlay causes reboot
2) Current overlay causes reboot
3) AIS source from N2k doesn't work (if it's not supported, why does it show up as a choice?)
4) Spurious N2k data from NN3D when Raymarine Transducer Pods are on the network
5) AIS to master MFD via 0183 @ 38.4 - missing targets on both - slave MFD shows targets that are not shown on master.

When I refreshed my NavNet 1 gear, there was no question what brand I would upgrade to as NN1 was great. I'm not sure I can say that on the next refresh, Furuno's software support seems to have fallen off.

Frustrating.....

I agree with dotdun that this is both very frustrating & dissappointing. Here is my list of bugs/issues, most of which were reporting shortly after the release of 2.07:

1. Final waypoint notification doesn't always work when navigating a route - the unit simply stops output of navigation data at the last waypoint (Autpilot reports no navigation data)

2. 3rd party NMEA2000 temp is not recognised or selectable if a DFF1 is connected. Works with the DFF1 disconnected.

3. Long Length units is not modifiable so it you want kilometers rather than Nautical miles you're out of luck.

4. Corrected (Calibrated) water speed and temp from DFF1 connected speed/temp sensors are not output over canbus.

5. Tide graph time line (red) does reflect daylight saving time.

Some of these issues should have been fixed very early. Simple bugs such as the long-length issue do not inspire confidence in the testing methodology

Please be careful about being too critical. I know from personal experience, the response will be to post saying you are wrong (and giving fallacious reasoning, then close the thread to avoid further discussion.

It does seem as if Furuno has abandoned NN3D support, or at least relegated it to an after thought in favor of Touch. Rumor is that the original idea of NN3D (that it would be software upgradable to state of the art) is now viewed as a marketing mistake, since it precludes next generation upgrade sales. Hence Touch. In my opinion, a better strategy would be to offer peripheral upgrades. For example, a piece of hardware that would provide wireless access (as has been done for Touch, and as is becoming common with all of the competitors). NN3D can't be seen as state of the art without basics that everyone else has. Idea #2, open up the proprietary code for third-party development, sell the upgrade features individually, like Apple with its app store. Obviously folks will be irritated about having to pay for bug fixes (and even upgrades), but it beats no fixes or upgrades at all. All that said, I do not regret my purchase (which includes 3 black box processors and just about every peripheral offered), and my system still impresses my buddies with other brands. Hopefully, Furuno will respond in a friendly way.

I don't see the point in reiterating the bugs at this time; we already know that a release is near. If one of your pet items is not included, do you expect Furuno to stop the release, go back and change the code, and go through the entire testing process, causing a greater delay? Or perhaps you are just setting them up so that you can beat them over the head if something is left out? Either way, this is not the time for such things IMHO. The requests were already on the table. Let's wait and see what they have accomplished.

Those who look a little further than the NN3D threads know that the Touch v2.01 firmware was just released - something Touch owners have also been waiting for anxiously, and which has had a call on Furuno's software resources as well. It would be nice to think that those programmers will now be available to work on NN3D software, and perhaps even bring some of the Touch's new features to the NN3D displays.

I admit to being as impatient as many other NN3D owners for the update. And am very interested in seeing which bugs have been fixed and which features added. I am certain that Furuno has got that message loud and clear, some time ago. And since we already know that an update is being worked on, I don't see the value of further carping.

Greg

Sitting quite is not necessarily the best way to get a software teams management attention either.

Downplaying the Tides and Current bug seems a bit off the mark for the type of support that Furuno is famous for. It is a bug whereby you accidentally leave a feature enabled and the system will randomly crash, leaving you to wait a long time for a system reboot - sans Radar and Chartplotter availability. And to top it off, it will occur at night and the boot screen will come up at full brightness killing your night vision as you peer into the darkness falling back to manual navigation. I can guarantee you there are scenarios where the crash occurs much sooner than 12 hrs. It should have been fixed with hotfix patch years ago.

I have recently bought another MFD8 Navnet3D for a different boat. I did this after talking extensively with Furuno support and sales at the Annapolis Boat Show. I was concerned that they were just dropping the Navnet3D line, so didn't want to buy the end of the road model. I didn't really want a touch screen and certainly couldn't justify the price. The boat show guys strongly stated Furuno's continued support for Navnet3D, stating that management knew there were customers who did not want touch based systems and pointing out they had a 5 year contract for updates with the USCG for Navnet3D. We'll see. So far the last year has not been their most shining moment.

As I said before:
“We are here to try to assist and it would be nice if the tone on the forum remain friendly. I understand you might not like an answer we provide but we have useful information to offer. Most people appreciate it. There are plenty of places to vent on the web, but I would prefer to keep this a productive place where people can get answers.“

With that reminder, I will say that there has been a lot of misleading statements made in some the previous posts about our existing software; in an effort to put forth how badly some of you desire the next software release. We hear you and you are not being ignored. I want the software too. The company is working on software and no one is abandoning the NN3D.

To focus back on the original question of this thread; Software updates are NOT on any schedule. The company provides them as they find necessary. We have recently changed our MM3 NOAA charts to an annual update schedule. Software; like the NN1 and Vx2, which proceeded the NN3D, will be updated from time to time, as required. After the next release, it might be one month or three years before the next one. It depends on when it is needed.

I do lock treads when they get very long to read, and when the threads are no longer productive. This thread meets both. I will lock it after this posting. That is what moderators do. They help keep the intended focus of the forum.

The best guess is 30 to 60 days for the next NN3D software release, well before the main boating season. I will post something on the site once we have something to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back