NN3D firmware v 2.11 & AIS Sart

A

Anonymous

I did an successful upgrade from 2.7 to 2.11

One of the reasons was this
NN3D V2.11 Software (latest)
*New: Compatibility with AIS-SART. IAIS nstead of a generic AIS triangle icon, SART icon is
displayed. AIS –SART symbols are now displayed on NN3D MFD8/12 and MFDBB

Arranged for at test with my electronics supplier.
He set off an AIS Sart.
The strange thing is that it did not show on my MFD8 at all..
I could however *see* other AIS Targets on the MFD
The AIS Sart did show with its MMSI number on my Ramarine i70 display.

Do I have to do any specific configurations to get this working on the N3D?

You do not have to turn anything on in the NN3D to get an AIS-SART message to be displayed. What AIS receiver are you using? What personal AIS-SART transponder are you using?

Regards,
Birdman

I use an Em-trak b100
The i70 get data on NMEA 2000
The MFD8 get the same data on NMEA 0183

We used a McMurdo Smartfind S10 AIS SART for the test

em-trak, first I have heard of them, had to do a search, but it looks like an ok unit. Do you have any way to save the NMEA0183 sentences that the em-trak puts out when recieving an AIS-SART message? The NN3D does have a port monitor.
I take it that regular AIS sentences are showing up on the NN3D from the em-track?

Birdman

Birdman":pkriqcpd said:
em-trak, first I have heard of them, had to do a search, but it looks like an ok unit.

Yes, and they have excellent support also :)

Birdman":pkriqcpd said:
Do you have any way to save the NMEA0183 sentences that the em-trak puts out when recieving an AIS-SART message? The NN3D does have a port monitor.
I take it that regular AIS sentences are showing up on the NN3D from the em-track?

Birdman

We did not anticipate this problem, did not want the AIS sart send for a long time,
Will see if I can arrange for a new test when I'm back from summer cruise.
This time I will activate the port monitor first :)

Am I the only one having tested this with the new SW?

Other AIS targets is showing fine. (except for AIS beacons that look like boats).
The AIS sart came up on the Raymarine i70 displays (via N2K)

I've tested the AIS-SART function with a Furuno FA150, FA50, and FA30 using a Kannad Safelink R10. The test worked on all receivers tested. I don't have a em-track receiver so I need to see what NMEA0183 AIS sentences the em-track unit is sending to the NN3D. An AIS_SART will show up on the NN3D as either a green circle with an X in the middle if the message is a test message, red if if it is a live message. Do you have any navigational software running on the same network as the MFD8?

Birdman":36jfy1g7 said:
I've tested the AIS-SART function with a Furuno FA150, FA50, and FA30 using a Kannad Safelink R10. The test worked on all receivers tested. I don't have a em-track receiver so I need to see what NMEA0183 AIS sentences the em-track unit is sending to the NN3D. An AIS_SART will show up on the NN3D as either a green circle with an X in the middle if the message is a test message, red if if it is a live message. Do you have any navigational software running on the same network as the MFD8?

OK, I will have to wait until I'm back from the summer cruise to arrange for a new test.

No other navigational software running on the network.

The em-trak is outputting data on both NMEA 0183 (high speed port) and on the NMEA 2000 network. The NN3D, two Raymarine i70 displays, autopilot, and sensors (via Raymarine itc5) are also connected on the N2K network.

We arranged for a new test yesterday - a small problem :)

A lot of NMEA messages is flowing on the high speed 0183 port, how can we manage to separate AIS Sart from other AIS messages?

It is possible to get the NN3D to write data to disk or SD card?

So, does the McMurdo Smartfind S10 AIS SART work on the MFD8/MFD12 units or not?

We are considering purchasing an FA-50 AIS transponder and two AIS SART beacons for personal safety during ocean crossings. The ones we have been looking at are the McMurdo Smartfind S10 beacons. Will they be detected by the FA-50 + MFD8/12?

At this time I cannot guarantee that the McMurdo Smartfind S10 will work with NN3D. I can only say that it should work. The Kannad Safelink R10 that I tested is made by the Orolia group which also makes the McMurdo products (they own both companies). The McMurdo S20 is the same unit as the Kannad R10.

Regards,
Birdman

Thanks for the info!
Is there a list of AIS SARTs that are compatible with the Furuno MFD8/MFD12 system?

Trying to bump again..
It would be very interesting to hear which AIS SARTs that works with FA-50 + MFD8/12. I'm going to buy one for my girlfriend for christmas, and she's going to buy one for me. Therefore we need to know for sure if the AIS SARTs will trigger an alarm on the MFDs. If they go undetected, it's no point og buying them (or the AIS transponder for that matter...)

So, has anyone tested the McMurdo Smartfind S10 AIS SART again to see if the OP had a malfunctioning device?

knuterikt":2tq7jjtq said:
We arranged for a new test yesterday - a small problem :)

A lot of NMEA messages is flowing on the high speed 0183 port, how can we manage to separate AIS Sart from other AIS messages?

It is possible to get the NN3D to write data to disk or SD card?

UPDATE:
Nothing new, since I'm unable to read the flow of messages on the high speed port and unable to log the data anywhere I have not done any more tests.

Also waiting for a response from support...

Update:
We finally found a way to log the AIS data going to the NN3D from the AIS transponder on NMEA 0183.

The NN3D re transmits NMEA 0183 data as UDP packets on the Ethernet.
We confirmed this by "sniffing" the network traffic using wireshark.
We where also able to configure Open CPN to display AIS data from Ethernet.
Doing a new test with a McMurdo smartfind s10, we found the following.

The AIS sart showed up on Open CPN as alarm and as a target.
th_OpenCPN_AISsart_zps9857edd9.jpg

Link to large image http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo16 ... 57edd9.jpg

But it did not show up on the NN3D (and no alarm)
th_NN3D_u_AIS_sart_zps6f9be072.jpg

link to large image http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo16 ... 9be072.jpg

The Raymarine i70 display (receiving AIS data via NMEA 2000) also sounded an alarm.

Based on this I think we can conclude that
  • The em-trak b100 does transmit AIS sart data via both NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000.
  • NN3D have some strange proprietary way to handle AIS sart (if it works at all?)

Birdman has been working with Japan on this issue. At current time, it appears that the TZTouch system accepts the personal SART and normal SART but the NN3D is not working with personal SART. It seemed to work before. The feature might have gotten lost/changed in our most recent software update(s). Japan is looking into this and should add personal SART for the NN3D in a future update.

Johnny Electron":5u34lcp3 said:
Birdman has been working with Japan on this issue. At current time, it appears that the TZTouch system accepts the personal SART and normal SART but the NN3D is not working with personal SART. It seemed to work before. The feature might have gotten lost/changed in our most recent software update(s). Japan is looking into this and should add personal SART for the NN3D in a future update.

So you are suggesting to downgrade to v 2.07 think that this was the last GA version.
If I'm not completely wrong one of the new features in v .2.11 was support for AIS sart.

The only difference between personal SART and normal SART seems to be the assigned mmsi series.
Search and Rescue Transponders (970yyzzzz) aka normal SART
Man overboard DSC and/or AIS devices (972yyzzzz) aka personal SART
406 MHz EPIRBs fitted with an AIS transmitter (974yyzzzz)

And while you are fixing the code - you could also add support for
navigational aids (AtoNs; 99MIDaxxx)

Birdman swore he seen it work on the NN3D in a previous version but not sure which. I wouldn't recommend downgrading the unit. Japan will change the software but I never try to predict their release dates. I normally guess wrong. I will pass on your other comments to product development.

I got an answer from support today.

The development department have identified why the AIS-sart is not showing on the MFD
"If the COG/SOG fields is empty (as OpenCPN show) the targets are filtered out"

This should be fixed in version 2.12 coming in APR.2014 :)

Back