nmea2000 power

danderer

Furuno Fan
I'm installing Furuno equipment and reusing as much of the existing N2K network as I can. The network is powered at its midpoint from the house/electronics battery bank.

The Navpilot 700 also seems to have the ability to power the network. I'd prefer not go that route (to have the network active even if the AP is off).

What isn't clear is how the AP powers the network. Does it do via pins 2 and 3 (NET_S and NET_C) of TB11? Or is the power supplied only from TB12?

Another way of asking this is: If I'm supplying power to the net from another source, should pins 2 and 3 (NET_S and NET_C) of TB11 be connected or disconnected?

Thanks as always.

danderer":1co8hqg3 said:
I'm installing Furuno equipment and reusing as much of the existing N2K network as I can. The network is powered at its midpoint from the house/electronics battery bank.

The Navpilot 700 also seems to have the ability to power the network. I'd prefer not go that route (to have the network active even if the AP is off).

What isn't clear is how the AP powers the network. Does it do via pins 2 and 3 (NET_S and NET_C) of TB11? Or is the power supplied only from TB12?

Another way of asking this is: If I'm supplying power to the net from another source, should pins 2 and 3 (NET_S and NET_C) of TB11 be connected or disconnected?

Thanks as always.

If you're supplying power to your CANBUS already, leave TB12 alone. TB12 is for folks with no backbone, no network, and need to power a very, very limited network to get basic autopilot functionality (think like a NP700 processor, GP330B (maybe) and PG700).

Hope this clarifies, :sail

-Maggy

Thanks. In this case should I leave pins 2 and 3 of TB11 connected? I'm guessing they do nothing since TB12 supplies the power.

No when TB12 isn't used; TB11 must be fully connected so that the bus power can power up the NMEA 2000 transceiver chip of the pilot so that it talks properly.

Back