New tz3 with dff3D

Grady306

I am interested in installing a 12” tz3 with the ddf 3D sounder box. I am told the best transducer is the 165-50/200-ss260. A few questions as this is a pricy option and want to get feedback if this is worth it.

I mainly bottom fish on the east coast in 80-280’ water. Occasionally, I will fish 700-800’ or even go swordfishing in 1800’. I have been using a 587 sounder and tm260 transducer. It works great and that is what I am familiar with. With this set up, I often wonder am I missing fish when riding around.

On the tz3, with the 165-50/200-ss260 transducer, it looks like a fairing block mount may not be good as the boat is capable of running 50 mph. I really don’t want a transom mount as that is an expensive transducer and worry about fishing lines getting tangled and or nicking/cutting wire. So I am considering having the bottom cut for the transducer and install about 1/4 below keel. This is an expensive job and I worry that it may come loose and sink the boat.

Are the readings with the 3D worth this extra expense and hassle? If I go this route, should I get another transducer for my other mdf? Which one is best?

Thanks in advance!

Regardless of system, sounder questions are best under that topic area where the sounder guys hang out. The large transducers like the combo transducers shouldn't be mounted with fairing unless on boats larger the 30ft. If used on smaller boats, these transducer types would need to be fiberglassed into the hull like Furuno USA showed with the "Furuno Connections Season one". If you are looking at fiberglassing one in place, I would recommend some photos of the bottom from different angles be provided to the gurus over in the sounder topic area for thought. It doesn't matter what you spend, if air consistently get across the face of the transducer; your done. (Turbulence is no one's friend)

Back