New to me NN3D

A

Anonymous

I just purchased a boat outfitted with all Furuno electronics, which I'm VERY excited about. These are my components:
MFD-8 (ceiling mounted)
1724C (helm mounted)
DRS2D Radar
BBFF1 Network sounder/1KW thruhull transducer
B3WGPS receiver
FM3000 Radio
Simrad AP16 (ok, I know, non-furuno)
I have a few questions.
First, can I update the registration (if it was ever done) for the components in my name with Furuno? The charts/updates for the MFD8 are linked to the unit via ID number correct?
How do I check to see if the MFD8 has the latest charts/software updates? Are these available to me even though I'm not the original owner?
I'm assuming I cannot share waypoints between the 2 units? The NN3D functions as a chartplotter, radar, and sounder; the NN2 as chartplotter and sounder only.
I come from a Garmin/mapsource boat. Is the best way to transfer my waypoints to NN3D the GPSU utility via SD card.
I've got ALOT more questions, but I'll watch the training videos and review my manuals first. Reading alot of this info on the boards is helpful....thanks for being here!!!
Dave

First, can I update the registration (if it was ever done) for the components in my name with Furuno?

You can use "MY Furuno" at the top of our web site to update us on your unit ownership.
http://www.furunousa.com/MyFuruno

The charts/updates for the MFD8 are linked to the unit via ID number correct?

Only licensed (purchased) charts are linked to the unit via the System ID. If you want to check to see if this unit has any charts licensed; PM me your SI#.

Are these available to me even though I'm not the original owner?

Yes, the charts are licensed to the system/unit, not the person.

I'm assuming I cannot share waypoints between the 2 units

If wired correctly (via NMEA 0183), you could allow the active waypoint from the NN3D to pop-up as a quick point on the Vx2 display. You cannot network these two systems or have the Vx2 pop-up a point on the NN3D.

I come from a Garmin/mapsource boat. Is the best way to transfer my waypoints to NN3D the GPSU utility via SD card.

Congrats on the upgrade. If you can use GPSU to save your points in "GPX" format, we might be able to convert them to NN3D for you. Please attach the GPX file (with less than 999 points) to a support case (ask furuno a question) on this web site.

The VX2 will put a temporary waypoint (aka quick point) on the screen. This point will not remain/stay in your waypoint listing unless you rename and make it a normal waypoint.

Back