And another newbie to NN3D

Andypandy

I'm just getting to know NN3D on a boat (new to me) and have one or two questions I'm hoping you guys might be able to offer your help on. I think I'm fairly ok with the tech side of what talk to what etc, but am stumped here.
Firstly the system: MFD12, MFD8, SC30, DRS4D radar, FA50, Hub etc.

Q1: The SC30 seems (according to the on-board diagram) to be only connected directly to the DRS4D dome. I don't get heading on the instrument page, and position only comes in from the FA50. I expected position and heading to come from the SC30. In the Global tab in settings I can select the SC30 for position and heading but then get alarms for lost positing and heading. By allowing the FA50 to provide position the system settles again (albeit without heading). Is there a reason the SC30 would be shown to be connected directly to the radar dome?

Q2: How do I get charts for the system? Can I just buy an area on SD card and put it in as with my last Raymarine boat, or is there more to it?

1) It was normal back and the early days of the NN3D to see people use the CANbus connection inside the dome to connect either a NMEA 2000 GPS or SC30 Sat compass. It allows them a short wiring connection rather than running it all the way down to a normal NMEA 2000 bus. The SC30 data is then put onto the Furuno network via the Radar scanner. My guess is either something is wrong with the SC30 or the CANbus in the radar. Because you see the SC30 in your setup; I would lean towards something has happened with the SC30. I normally only see those go bad if someone mounts in the radar beam or next another transmitting source (blowing out the receiver in the antenna). It is clear that the SC30 isn't working. I would recommend sending it in for repair evaluation and also evaluate the placement on the boat.

2) All charts used by the NN3D are via an internal storage drive. The unit uses MM3 charts from MapMedia. Free USA Raster and Vector charts along with ACE river charts are available to download from the FurunoUSA website. Other core data charts (still in MM3 format) are available for download but requires an "Unlock Code" for them to function. All charts used by the customer must be loaded into the MFDs internal drive for use. You can not buy a typical card to use. There are many threads on the forum about loading charts and the chart loading guide under the Manuals/documents tab of the product page.

Thank you for that Johnny, it's a big help and makes lots of sense. I'll get up there and see what's happened, I can make a little portable N2K network with an instrument display so that should at least identify the problem. I hadn't realised that the radar could bridge N2K data, which I guess is what you're saying it's doing.
Thanks also on the charts, I'll sort that out after the heading issue.
best wishes
Andy

Hoping that Johnny might pick up this one again :)

I have my SC30 down now and turns out it's not receiving any satellites. The date is an odd one (1989 if my memory is correct) so wondered if I need to update firmware in the antenna? If so is there somewhere online I can download it? I've found the update connections via serial connection so I'm comfortable with that.

Hey Johnny. I now have V3.02 in the unit, but the date still shows as 08/22/1999 and 1 sat. I've left it on overnight and see if it just takes a while to initialize, fingers crossed for the morning...
Is there any way (or point in) entering a closer date and approximate position to help it?

It is important that you select the SC30 as the source of date and time in the setup wizard of the NN3D and save and exit, so the NN3D looks to it for this data.

I've taken the SC30 off, and connected it via pc. Can I adjust the date and time with the SC30 tool? refitting it's a pain if it doesn't work so would be good to confirm operation before fitting if possible...?

Ultimately the date and time comes from that satellites. You don't set it. You should be able to see the data in the SC tool program. The time will be in UTC.

Back