New multiple TZT3 screen build w DFF3d - sonar frequencies

Im in west FL where we successfully rely on 200 kHz traditional sonar for bottom recognition when bottom fishing in under 300'. Occasionally go the the keys for misc bottom fishing and trolling. Have not yet tried deep dropping or electric reels..

My local buddy is redoing new electronics on a sport fisher, definitely installing Furuno, w DFF3D, radar, sat compass, multiple TZT3s, trying to narrow down how many simultaneous sonar frequencies to run, while avoiding interference. Here are some options:

Choice 1 - 3 frequencies) Give up 50/200 traditional sonar and use a high / low chirp transducer for bottom fishing, while using the DFF3d also as a wider, flatter, less detailed solution for trolling. (This probably means giving up the ability to identify "swiss cheese" bottom) This means installing DFF3d (165 kHz) and a 1000 watt high / low chirp transducer on the TZT3s (question: does the high chirp interfere w the DFF3d?)

Choice 2 - 5 frequencies) Install 50/200 1000 watt traditional sonar w a 1971f running separately from the TZT3 system. Also install DFF3d w a 1000 watt high wide / low chirp transducer on the TZT3s (question: what frequencies AND/OR frequency ranges (if any exist) can i select on the HW / L chirp transducer that will not interfere w the 50, 165, and 200 that are also broadcasting simultaneously?)

Choice 3 - 4 frequencies and likely an option only if choice 2 won't work) Install a medium chirp 1000 watt transducer w a 1971f running separately from the TZT3 system. Also install DFF3d w a 1000 watt 50/200 traditional transducer on the TZT3s.

Choice 4 - 4 frequencies and likely an option only if choice 2 won't work) Install 50/200 1000 watt traditional sonar w a 1971f running separately from the TZT3 system. Also install DFF3D w a medium range chirp 1000 watt transducer on the TZT3s.

Any help with the questions / choices above would be appreciated.. Or any other suggested choices I am missing. Choice 2 seems to be especially advantageous, if it is even possible...

Thanks, Jamie

First, if you have high and low CHIRP 1kW transducers installed, you can set the internal TZT 3 sounder to operate in single frequency 50/200 mode as a "Preset" frequency. No need to have a separate 50/200 transducer. You can also change the CHIRP frequency spread to a custom range, which can be helpful for bottom fishing.

The DFF-3D is a fixed 165Hz sounder. It's a great thing to have for trolling and for finding bottom structure. It will interfere with high CHIRP sounder and vice versa unless the interference filter is set to the highest level on both. Even then there is a little interference visible, It's not bad. You can get a key pulse cable to link the two sounders, which keeps them from transmitting at the same time and should eliminate interference.

If you become serious about deep dropping, you will want to have a big low frequency transducer like an R599 and a "deep Impact" 3kW sounder box to drive it. That will get you good bottom detail in 2000+ feet of water. The regular 1kW low CHIRP transducers such as a B175L do well in 1200-1400 feet or less in my experience but obviously not as good a picture as an R599.

with sportfish money I would do the following setup

B260 to one TZT3-16/19 at the main helm

165T-PM542LM to DFF3D, DIFF-AMP, and another TZT3-16/19 at the main helm

this will give you power when deep dropping, bottom discrimination for gulf of mexico swiss cheese bottom, and DFF3D that since pocket mounted, should read proper for PBG at up to 30kts..

I don't think you need the B175HW when you have DFF3D...

Back