New GPS module

Bright Idea

I have recently installed a new GP 1971F and Nav Pilot 300 and did not replace the existing Raymarine RS 130 GPS module which is more than 10 yrs old. I am now ready to replace this. The options are Furuno 330BP or a Raymarine RS 150. These appear to provide the same data from the same source. Is there a good reason other than brand alignment that I would consider in making this decision ?

If it was me, I would go with a SCX20 and get fantastic heading along with the needed GPS data. The heart of an autopilot is the heading and the hydraulics. GPS is GPS in most cases. I can't speak to the Raymarine but I do know Garmin and a few others do not provide MAG Var data which is helpful to have when dealing with TRUE and MAGNETIC calculations. (GP330B and SCX20 provides MAG Var)

Yes, I agree the scx20 would be the ultimate sensor. this is on a 22' open center console dory with limited space to mount. I suspected that the GP 330 likely had a feature(s) not likely found in other less expensive sensors. Thank You

Back