New FCV-585

A

Anonymous

Last season I purcahsed a FCV-585 and did not upgrade teh existing transducer
When initially installed the temp display worked fine
After 10 hours of use the temp dispaly went to 99.9 and stayed there
The existing transducer is FRN-ST-02MSB 144333
With the boat out of the water I just purchased a new FRN-ST-02MSB transducer assuming that the temp sensor is bad
I see that Furuno specs reference Triducer 525ST-MSD Code No.: 000-015-263
I note that in a previous post the Product ID is now 525STID - MSD
Looking at the photos of this transducer I note that the body is not the same 2" diameter as the old FRN-ST-02MSB
I want to simplify the installation - will the 525STID fit in the existing 2" hull hole? Is there a collar the fill the difference?

dismay,

The existing transducer is FRN-ST-02MSB 144333

That unit isn't a transducer but a speed temp sensor that normally connects to the older style sounders or to a Y cable. (See link to the product)
http://www.furunousa.com/Products/Produ ... mp+Sensors

You might want look over what is connected to the FCV585 and how. If you only have the ST-02MSB connected to the unit, then something is really wrong. Let us know with as much detail as you can, and I am sure we can guide you in the correct direction.

Johnny

Yes, the product in the link you provided is the unit I purchased, and as I now look at it I see that it is only a speed and temperature sensor
The marina where the boat is stored is closed for the holidays until January 9th so I am unable to check out the transducer until then
The new sounder works fine with the existing transducer, it is the temperature display in the FCV-585 that is not working
In fact, I replaced the old sounder because the temperature display did not work as follows:

The original old Furuno sounder worked but the temp display continously read 99.9
I purchased the ST-02MSB thinking that the temperature sensor was bad
I hooked it up to the sounder and found that the temperature still displayed 99.9
I concluded that the sounder was at fault and returned the ST-02MSB
This past season I purchased the FCV-585 and had it installed
Initially it worked fine including the temperature display
After about ten hours of use the temperature stopped displaying correctly and displayed 99.9
Once the boat was hauled for the season I repurchased the ST-02MSB thinking that the sensor was bad

I see that the specs for the FCV-585 reference Triducer 525ST-MSD Code No.: 000-015-263
I note that in a previous post the Product ID is now 525STID - MSD
Looking at the photos of this transducer I note that the body is not the same 2" diameter as the FRN-ST-02MSB

dsimay,
You are correct the tri-ducer 525STID-MSD (or older 525ST-MSD) has a diffrent size shaft than the ST-02MSB temp sensor. I would not buy or replace anything until we know exactly what you have and how it is connected. It might just be a setup or wiring issue.
Johnny

I will be going to the boat next week to get the information that you need

I just purchased the Furuno 525STID-MSD Triducer to be used with my FCV-585 - what is the cone angle of the transducer?

Dsimsay,
The beamangles for the 525STID-MSD are 40 degrees for 50Khz and 10 degrees for 200Khz.

Snips

Back