FCV 295 Questions

Strider493

Hi Folks,

I have some questions.

I currently have an FCV 585 and a pair of 1KW SS264N transducers. I am thinking about going up a step to the FCV 295. Can the FCV 295 use my existing SS264N transducers? If so, I assume they are hardwired into the unit. Will instructions come with the unit that explain which color wires go to what?

I currently have a single wire coming from the two transducers with a connector for my FCV 585 and, as I understand it, I will need to run the two wires from each of the transducers, cut off the connectors, and then run each wire into the back of the FCV295. (assuming it can use these transducers.) Is this all correct?

Question 2- If the 295 does work with the SS264's, I would eventually like to add a 2 or 3 KW, low frequency transducer like the CA38BL-15HR for deep dropping down to 2000 feet. I would use this 3KW transducer in place of the 1KW 50Khz SS264 transducer that is currently being used. Can the FCV 295 be set up to function properly with the 1KW 200Khz SS264 and the 3KW CA38BL-15HR?

Phew! I hope that makes at least enough sense that you can figure out what I am hoping to do.

Many thanks in advance!

Can the FCV 295 use my existing SS264N transducers?
YES

If so, I assume they are hardwired into the unit. Will instructions come with the unit that explain which color wires go to what?
Yes and No. There are entirely too many transducer options in the world to provide custom wiring instructions for each. The manual has a pin-out on page S-1 showing the interconnection. You match up the Airmar wires using that and their color code as a guide. Gemeco (Airmar) support or Furuno Support can help you with that if you need. Just give them a call once you get to that point.

I currently have a single wire coming from the two transducers with a connector for my FCV 585 and, as I understand it, I will need to run the two wires from each of the transducers, cut off the connectors, and then run each wire into the back of the FCV295. (assuming it can use these transducers.) Is this all correct?
CORRECT

Can the FCV 295 be set up to function properly with the 1KW 200Khz SS264 and the 3KW CA38BL-15HR?
YES

The unit is on the way and I have a couple of follow up questions.

Do you know the TAP setting for each of these transducers?

If not, I see I can enter them manually but it asks for the "Bandwidth" of the transducers. I know the beamwidth for each transducer, but not the bandwidth. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I've been reading lots of posts on the site here and might have found the answers to my questions above.

First, I think the TAP settings for the ss264's are: 50kHz=B and 200kHz =A Is this correct?

Regarding the Bandwidth. Is it true that I don't have much adjustment on bandwidth, since these are fixed frequency transducers? So set the 50 kHz to 5 and the 200kHz to 20. (Saw this on another post) Is this correct, or am I confusing slew with bandwidth?

Thanks for the help up this steep learning curve!

First, I think the TAP settings for the ss264's are: 50kHz=B and 200kHz =A Is this correct?
Correct. When setting Taps we refer to the tap setting matrix.

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/sites ... ttings.pdf

Regarding the Bandwidth. Is it true that I don't have much adjustment on bandwidth, since these are fixed frequency transducers? So set the 50 kHz to 5 and the 200kHz to 20. (Saw this on another post) Is this correct, or am I confusing slew with bandwidth?

Correct. There isn't really any room to slew your bandwidth much unless you have a broadband transducer like CHIRP that allows a wide range of freqs.

Back