New Build Sonar Questions

Inconceivable

Hi, I've got a new boat we're putting together the electronics for and have a few questions about transducers. This forum has been great for a new user to Furuno products. I'd be getting a couple TZT3s as well as the DFF3D.

I fish 200' or less, most often less than 50', so a HW ducer seems like a logical choice. Before digging in, I probably would've chosen a B175HW. But AccuFish looks pretty cool for a novice fisherman like myself. I understand it needs two frequencies to guess the size. Do the two frequencies have to be from the same ducer? Also, will CHIRP transducers work, such as the B275LHW? The website wasn't clear and the matrix I found only went through TZT2.

Regarding DFF3D, I've used competitor's side scans and found them great for looking at structure, but not for finding fish. (We have tons of structure and bait here, not so much fish). The DFF3D seems more like what I'm looking for. Does anyone know how wide the beams are fore and aft? So for instance, if I relied on the single beam instead of a traditional finder, I can set the side to side width to be 20 degrees. But the shape of it is not conical, more oblong?. Something like 10 degrees fore and aft, or is it very narrow like sidescans (2 degrees?).

It does sound like the DFF3D is better at moderate speeds than the competitors products, perhaps due to a wider (fore/aft) beam or maybe the lower frequency? I assume going with a Transom Mount would negate a big portion of that benefit, so a fairing block is advised on a 40' boat.

Finally, how far back in history can you scroll? The current system I'm on only goes back a few pages / minutes.

Thanks!
Mike

On the DFF3. Im not sure about the for aft beam angle. But to answer one of your questions I don't think relying on it as your traditional sounder is a good idea based on my experience. I love it, and it is much better than Garmin for instance, when marking fish. But its target discrimination is nothing like the b175HW you referenced. Here are quite a few screen shots of the dff3d right along side a B275LHW, which is the same as the 175HW on the high side. Its great for telling you "something" is off the the port side, for instance. But then I would want my traditional sounder to find out exactly what that "something" is.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W25QKaCfhmt8P6yG7

Thanks Deepsouth, those are some great screenshots and validate your point. I'm not sure a pocket-mount works on my boat, will have to confirm that. So was thinking 165T-50/200 fairing block plus a B175HW tilted flush mount. But the B164 that's in that combo ducer gets pretty crappy reviews. I guess not the end of the world if I'm using the 50/200 elements mostly for AccuFish and occasionally the 50 for deeper water, but relying on the B175HW for my traditional view.

Inconceivable,
For the ACCU-FISH to function properly it relies on using a wide beam 50Khz and a narrow beam 200Khz i.e. B-260 or B-265. In a perfect world both beams would be in the same transducer housing so they were looking exactly in the same direction. Yes, in theory you could get a 175L and and 175H and mount them in a for/aft configuration and ACCU-FISH would "work", how well is the big question mark.

The for/aft beam width of a DFF3D transducer is around 12 degrees or roughly half of the HFW side of a 175. It is no secret that good performance starts with choosing a good transducer and mounting it in a location with good water flow over it.

Snips

Back again...I'm narrowing down my choices, somewhat dictated by the hull. Question: there's a 526TID-HDD (B164) that is listed in the TZT3 Appendix as having AF, BD, RB. But the tilted elements version of it aren't listed in the Appendix as far as I can tell. Does anyone know if that ducer (526TID-LTD/20) has AF, BD and RB? Thanks!

Ok, I think I can answer my own question. The 526TID-HDD is actually a B260, while the 526TID-LTD/20 is a B164. Unclear who developed the naming conventions, but the B164 does not have the proper elements for the advanced features.

Hello

I have a 526TID-LTD20 (B164) I'm trying to use it with my upgrade but it's challenging. The moderator will correct me if I'm wrong but the 526TIDLTD20 will not support BD. It will support RB and not sure about AF.

Its weird because I see the 600w B60 (525T-LTD) can do all of the above and is at an excellent price point but too small fit in the 526TID-TLD hole.

The B60 won't do chirp but it sounds like you have a chirp transducer selected. If you fish 40-100' the B60 sounds like what you need and what I need. I could replace my B164 with the B175 HW or M and put the B60 on the port side. I fish the same depth as you and troll in the gulf stream also for pelagics. The question is will the TZT3 work with both the B60 and the B175's ?

Regards

Seaducer1,

The TZT3’s Internal Sounder will support Continuous Wave Transducers at 50-200kHz or use with a CHIRP Transducer using 40kHz to 225kHz.

However, you must select either a CW or CHIRP Transducer for use with the TZT3’s internal sounder. You cannot “split” the transducers by using one as CW and the other with CHIRP. :noway

Rezboost is used with the dual-frequency (50/200 kHZ) transducers and the signal is processed over eight times. The Bottom Discrimination and ACCU-FISH functions both use sampling of low and high frequencies to determine fish targets and bottom composition.

-Deep Blue

Back