Networking Navionics and C-map NN1 displays together

slwelsh

I have what I believe is an RDP-139 / GD-1900C display on my new-to-me boat which takes C-Map cartography. The unit is attached to a radar and is supplying NMEA data to other electronics on the boat, but is not currently networked.

I have been offered a pair of GD-1900C displays of the same vintage, but they are configured for Navionics chips (yes, I know I can send them in and have them converted to C-map). My question is: will these displays, when properly networked with my current system, properly display the chart information I already have, simply by selecting my current display as the "Chart Source" in Network Setup? Or do all the displays need to be C-map for this to work.

Sorry if this has been discussed before; I could not find it in the archives. Thanks.

-Sean
m/y Vector
lying Hilton Head, SC

NavNet series one and Vx2 units always read their own chart cards first before looking for chart data over the network. I recommend leaving the chart source blank in your case, so the unit never attempts to look at the other units for chart data.

Johnny Electron":126xouke said:
... I recommend leaving the chart source blank in your case, so the unit never attempts to look at the other units for chart data.

There are no chart cards with the unit I am looking at; I wasn't planning on hunting around for Navionics Classic charts for it. If I can't have a second display read the charts from the display I already own, it's not worth buying -- for less money I can get a much more modern plotter for the flybridge. If you have to have a chart card in each plotter, I don't understand what benefit having a network is at all. All it would give me, beyond what I would get from putting, say, a Garmin up there, is access to the radar display, which would be of limited benefit on the flybridge.

I've now talked to two different Furuno techs (one in WA and one in MD), both think that the units both need to be C-Map versions for this to work. That said, the WA guy said I would have to send them the unit to have it converted from Navionics to C-map, at $100/hr bench rate, plus shipping. The MD guy said the conversion was free and I would only pay shipping, but also that I could do it myself by downloading the software from the web site. These kind of conflicting responses do not inspire confidence.

-Sean

Sean-
C-Map charts will not tranfer over the network to a NavNet programmed for Navionics. The same is true the other way. Even if you found Navionics Classic cards for the other units, the charting is out of date and they no longer can support that format of memory card. If you don't have a sounder in the current network only your navigation information, via NMEA0183, and the radar would transfer. If you don't want radar on the bridge then yes I would not advise using them as is.

But, $100 is pretty cheap for a 10.4" radar and plotter. ;)

Melville":253jnbh2 said:
... Even if you found Navionics Classic cards for the other units, the charting is out of date and they no longer can support that format of memory card.

Yes, well aware of that -- which is why I said I was not going to look for cards...

But, $100 is pretty cheap for a 10.4" radar and plotter. ;)

Indeed, it is, and if you know of one available at that price, please let me know. The displays I have seen for sale on line are running from $700-$1,500, depending on condition, for working GD-1900C (RDP-139) models. I had the chance to get one for "a few bucks less" than $700, not $100. For the $500-$600 it would cost me for a Navnet display, I can get a pretty nice stand-alone chart plotter.

Again, the point behind my question is to use the cartography I already own. Also, as I intend to keep the radar, I'd like to get the overlay mode working (no heading data currently) and then it would be worthwhile to update and/or expand my C-map library.

If I can convert the Navionics display to C-map, as has been suggested by Furuno, and access my existing charts over the network, then it will be worthwhile. I just don't want to drop this kind of money on a display and then find out it does not work.

-Sean

Sean-
Sorry, I as under the impression that you already had the GP1900 displays which is why I said $100 was cheap.

It is possible to read the chart inserted into one NN1 (NavNet 1) display across the network to another NN1 display if the software programs are the same.

NavNet 1 has been out of production for almost 10 years, the cartography memory medium is getting difficult to aquire, the additional displays are coming off the internet, and they are not the correct version. Personally, I would not proceed with this project.
Take the funds and buy a heading sensor to add radar overlay to the original NN1, and purchase a stand alone plotter for the upper station.

Back