Need help choosing autopilot

buyeno32

Hi everyone,

I want to add an autopilot to my 30' boat. I have the TZ Touch 3 and have a single inboard diesel engine. I have kobelt helm pump and kobelt steering ram (7.5" stroke). This would be my first experience with autopilot so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Specifically, I have 2 kobelt helm pumps. Kobelt 7031 2 cubic in per turn. The kobelt ram is 7040 with 7.5" stroke. If any other info is need please let me know.

What type of boat is it? On the surface it appears you could use either the 300 or the 711C pilot with the PUMPOCT10-12. Do you have an existing pump?

Its a 30' deep vee flybridge boat similar to a Bertram but not as wide (beam). I do not have an existing pump as this would be my first ever experience with autopilot. Here's a list that I put together:

Furuno NavPilot 300 Autopilot with PG700
Furuno PUMPOCT10-12 Autopilot Pump
Furuno SafeHelm 2 Sensor and Adaptor Kit

Thanks

buyeno32":2u39v5vl said:
Its a 30' deep vee flybridge boat similar to a Bertram but not as wide (beam). I do not have an existing pump as this would be my first ever experience with autopilot. Here's a list that I put together:

Thanks

Spend a little extra and get an SCX-20 satellite compass instead of the PG700. It is more accurate and not subject to deviation errors or magnetic interference. It will also give you better speed, course, and position data on your TZT 3. As a added benefit, you can use heaving control with the TZT 3 internal sounder. I have a NavPilot 711C, which works well but I don’t have experience with the 300.

An autopilot will change your life. You will wonder how you lived without it.

Quitsa":2jqvjfls said:
buyeno32":2jqvjfls said:

Thanks

Spend a little extra and get an SCX-20 satellite compass instead of the PG700. It is more accurate and not subject to deviation errors or magnetic interference. It will also give you better speed, course, and position data on your TZT 3. As a added benefit, you can use heaving control with the TZT 3 internal sounder. I have a NavPilot 711C, which works well but I don’t have experience with the 300.

An autopilot will change your life. You will wonder how you lived without it.

When installing the SCX-20, does it have to be clear to open skies? I would like to mount it under the flybridge dash (fiberglass) to keep it protected from the elements. My other option would be to mount on pole on side of cabin but aesthetics is my main issue.

Back