Need advice on TZT2 package setup

A

Anonymous

Building a 33' center console around the Furuno TZT2 system.

Here is what I want. Help me fill in the blanks on all the components I need to make it work properly...please.

TZT2 15" screen
4kw vs 6kw radar
Fishfinder Rezboost built in finder vs dff1
1kw transducer vs b265
Icom VHF 506 with AIS

Do I need a hub and power supply for radar?

Do I need a GPS/WAAS antennae?

Thank you for your help.

Radiater-
Welcome aboard.
You will need the PSU012 for either the 4kW (DRS4A) or 6kW (DRS6A) open Array DRS. If you go with the 4kW dome (DRS4D) the PSU017 will do fine. However, if you plan on using the radar to assist in finding birds for fishing then the DRS6A should be used.

The build-in sounder is not a CHIRP so unless you want to install an external DFF1-UHD save your money on the B265.

If you are only planning on radar connected to the TZT2 then you won’t need a hub. It could be added at a later date if you decide to add other Ethernet devices to the system. I would also add that an external GPS might not be needed as the internal version seems to work fine from what we have seen so far. Like a hub an external GPS (GP330B) could be added if the internal one proves problematic on your particular installation. Since the GP330B is a CAN bus device it can be connected through the CAN bus connection in the radar eliminating the need to run another cable to the TZT2.

We have been made aware of a problem with the ICOM 506 connection with the TZT2. The radio doesn’t receive position and the TZT2 doesn’t receive AIS. This will be fixed in a future software revision. If the ICOM will accept NMEA0183 there is an 0183 output on the TZT2 that could be used for position into the radio.

Let us know if you have any other questions as you proceed with this project.

Thank you Melville. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. A couple of other questions.

Is the Rezboost built in fishfinder as good as say the Furuno 585 with 1kw transducer?

Will the Standard Horizon Matrix AIS series VHF radios interface with the TZT2?

I may add Autopilot in the future so it sounds as though I should just get the Hub now while in the build process.

Again, thank you for your help.

The built in sounder is definitely as good as the FCV585.

The autopilot does not require an Ethernet connection. It will interface with the TZT on the N2K backbone so no hub is needed yet.

I am not sure of the radio question so I am passing it on to one of our technical representatives.

Thank You Melville.

I found a similar thread on the connectivity of the Icom 506 with the TZT2 and it seems as though you can make it work with a NMEA 2000 to 0183 Adapter until Furuno comes out with a software upgrade to fix whatever the issue is.

I checked and we have had no reported issues with the Standard VHF. it works with the Garmin AIS so it may be product specific to the Icom.

Melville":3n59ka6t said:
I checked and we have had no reported issues with the Standard VHF. it works with the Garmin AIS so it may be product specific to the Icom.

I used to have one of those Standard-Horizon VHF radios interfaced to a NavNet 3D system. It only has NMEA 0183 ports, unlike the Garmin unit. So the original poster would have to use a IF-NMEA2K adapter and use a NMEA 2000 network to get the AIS target output onto a TZT 2 since the TZT 2 only has NMEA 0183 data output, not input.

Back