Furuno TZ Touch Radar stopped Working

Hi - I need trouble shooting help/advice please!
My TZT Navnet 14 system suddenly stopped interfacing with the radar and the radar stopped operating. I restarted the system and the radar screen option disappeared completely from the TZTouch menus.

The Navnet 700 autopilot screen also showed “no position data” when engaging the auto function.

The NavNet TZ Touch screen map also did not show the boat location/icon or refresh when moving.
Any advice would be appreciated.
System details
1. TZT14 Display (replaced at my cost 2 years ago due to screen delamination).
2. DRS6A 6kw UHD Radar Array
3. DFF1-UHD Tru Echo CHIRP Fish Finder
4. GP330B GPS/WAAS Antenna
5. B265LH Thru Hull Transducer
6. PSU012 Power Supply
Boat is a 38 ft Center Console with 2 Verado 300’s

Good afternoon Princess Tiffany,

Thank you for your inquiry. It sounds like you are getting a network connection issue with the radar and your other units. Couple of things to try, do you know if there is a network hub on the vessel? First thing to try would be to make sure that all the Ethernet cables that are plugged into the TZT14 are secured, you may want to unplug/plug back in, they should snap into place. Secondly, the Radar Antenna is using a power supply to power it. The Radar Power supply likely has (2) Ethernet cables plugged into it. Please unplug/plug back in, they should click into place. When the system is running do you see a green light on the power supply unit?

The GP330B: do you know if that GPS sensor is plugged into the NMEA2000 backbone directly or does the GP330B terminate inside the radar gearbox? My guess is the GP330B is terminated inside the radar gearbox which means you know longer have GPS position because the TZT14 cannot locate the Radar. Try the steps above first and let us know what you find out.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Hi
Found that the PSU 012 15 amp fuse has blown and the replacement fuse blew too so there may be a short in the DRS 6A Radar or in the PSU012 unit. The PSU 012 unit has been installed upside down (Connection points facing upwards) it could be the cause of the short through possible water ingress?
The GP330B terminates in the Radar gearbox.
How do you recommend tracing the cause of the fuse blowing?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Princess Tiffany,

Yes good find.

First, when is the fuse blowing. When power is supplied to the PSU? or when you start to transmit the radar?

2.) What fuse is blowing, is it the circuit breaker that is powering the PSU? There is also a fuse inside the PSU-012, is that the fuse that is blowing?

3.) What is the input voltage to the PSU-012? Have you put a meter on it at the PSU to determine?

Kind Regards
C-Bass

Hi - it is the fuse at the bottom left of the PSU that is blowing. It must be blowing when powering the Navnet as there is no radar screen option on the Navnet showing to power up the radar. Will try and test input voltage but boat is fully 12V.
Regards
Reg

Hi
Found the problem was the board in the PSU 012 had some blown components due to corrosion
Getting it repaired now.
Thanks for all the help!!
Cheers
Reg

Hi got the PSU back but still no radar.
The input voltage is 12v and output 48v.
I am suspecting the LAN connection bridge.
Are these LAN sockets drawing power from the PSU or can I connect the two cables directly to each other outside the PSU?
Any other suggestions welcomed.
BTW a new PSU powered up the radar with no issues.
Feel like we are close to a solution

Good afternoon Princess Tiffany,

Thank you for your followup.

The LAN connections on the PSU don't really supply power to anything traditionally. However, LAN Pins 4,5 do pass a 12v signal when power is pressed on the MFD. That 12v signal triggers what we call "power sync" and turns on the PSU. You can bypass that by changing a jumper setting in the PSU. When you change the jumper, the power to the PSU will not be turned on by the MFD but when the breaker for the PSU is activated from the source.

You will need to either find the jumper that came with the PSU012 or you will need figure out a way to short "J7" on the PSU board. If you lost the jumper you could use a an aligator line with two clips to short "J7". Once that is done when power to the PSU012 is supplied from the source the unit will turn on. Then you will need to get a straight through Ethernet coupler to connect the Ethernet lines together.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Hi the PSU is powering up (green LED) before connecting the LAN cables. Shows 12v in and 48V out. Connecting the LAN cables seems to have no effect on anything. Screen still does not show the radar screen even after restarting. Do I need to do some reboot to find the radar?
Regards
Reg

Does the radar show up in the initial settings menu, Sensor list?

If we do not see the radar in the sensor list, that means there is no communications between the radar and the MFD. You may try using a bypass Ethernet cable from the antenna to the MFD directly to see if it shows up. It would require you to open radar antenna, remove the rj45 that is currently connected. Use another Ethernet cable and run it down to the MFD and see if it finds it then. If it does you may have a bad radar cable?

C-Bass

Hi I replaced the PSU 12 through the agent and Radar now works well but I am still getting no position data on my Navpilot 700. Auto mode works after resetting following the alarm notification to wait 1 second but Nav function wont work with TZT.
What do I need to do?
Thanks
Reg

Good morning,

First you need to verify that you have the correct PGN's being sent from the TZT to the NMEA2000 backbone. Can you confirm what NMEA2000 PGN's you have turned on on the TZT MFD?

Then you need to confirm that the NavPilot 700 has the correct navigation source set in the Menu. Please reference section 3.14 in the installation manual. You will need to choose the TZT unit as the source on only one option. Please do not choose the same source for both source settings.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass.

Back