NavPilot 500 Will Not Execute Rudder Test

A

Anonymous

I have a NavPilot 500 install in a trawler that has developed a recent problem. The system is 2003 vintage but has worked well in the intervening time, save for a few deviation alarms related to the heading sensor (documented in another post on this forum). Earlier this spring, I re-ran the dockside set-up and then the sea trial set-up and all went as expected.

More recently, I noticed the AP rudder position indicator was at odds with the manual steering indicator, so I attempted to do the dockside setup again to see if the settings were still OK. I found I could not enter the rudder sensor alignment at all...I just get beeps when attempting to start it. When I run the rudder limit test, I get a Rudder Drive Error. I also noticed that the rudder indicator on the AP was not showing any rudder angle at all, regardless of rudder position.

I have checked the rudder reference unit (RRU, in this case a Furuno FAP-6111) and it is physically and electrically connected properly. I found another post on this forum (http://www.furunousaforum.com/viewt...a4&sid=a5122928d4866ff897771f084511a7a4#p6458 on testing the FAP-6112 (as I understand it, the successor to the FAP-6111) that said resistance should smoothly measure 0-2200 ohms..although no info on between what terminals. I removed the RRU and disconnected the wiring at the sensor...there is a plate on the bottom of it, screw that and there is angular rate sensor with a 3 terminal slide-on connector. I was able to get smooth readings of 0-2200 Kilo-ohms (not ohms as had been suggested by the other post) between the pins 1 & 2 or 2 & 3. That translates to the Green & Yellow/Black wires or the White & Yellow/Black wires on the cable back to the processor. I have also checked the cable between the RRU and the processor...continuity on all conductors (Green, Black, Yellow and White) and no shorts between them.

I also checked for voltage from the processing unit at the RRU connection and get something like 5v DC between the Green and White wires...not sure if this is correct, but voltage is there. So, I have voltage and varying resistance at the RRU, so the processor should be able to figure out the rest, right?

I am not sure if I have a dead RRU or a problem with the processing unit...wondering what I should do from here? Before I replace the RRU (will cost ne $500 Cdn after all), I would like to verify it is not working. Does anyone know the correct resistance readings for testing the FAP-6111 RRU? I assume it should be the same as the FAP-6112 (since it was/is supplied with the later NavPilot 500 as well)...does 0-2200Kohms sound correct...or should it be 0-2200ohms as previously posted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
SteveCo in St. John's

0-2200 Ohms (same as FAP6112); NOT K Ohms.

Normally when the RRU arm is perfectly centered it will read about 1100 ohms between the WHITE & BLACK and the same (roughly) between (YELLOW & GREEN). This should be checked while it is disconnected from the pilot.

As the RRU arm is moved the WHITE & BLACK pair resistance will be inverse of the YELLOW & GREEN. Meaning the resistance will decrease on one pair of wires as the other pair increases.

Wonderful. So that means my unit reading Kohms would indicate it is faulty. I'll give it a test again just to be sure before I order a replacement unit. Thanks for the info!

Regards,
SteveCo

Back