Navnet VX2 upgrade, does new equipment work with system

gatormonroe

Good afternoon,

I purchased a boat about 8 months ago that was loaded with Furuno electronics. I have a VX2 system with 10" (GD-1920C) and 7" screens, fishfinder unit and 4kW closed array. I like the RADAR, but the GPS is extremely laggy and won't accept new SD cards with better imagery and the sounder is OK but has some issues when compared to newer models coming out.

My original goal was to replace the 7" screen with a combo unit that offers better GPS refresh as well as better sounder usability. However, if there is a way to add newer Furuno unit(s) to the current system and have them be interoperable that could be better. Do any of the newer Furuno products work with this system or would they need to be standalone?

Sorry I do not have other part numbers for what is installed.

Thanks

Vx2 can not be networked with anything newer. NN1 and Vx2 can network. NN1 came out in 2002 and Vx2 came out in 2005. These are not units to compare to units 15 year into the future. The software can be updated and the units can be converted to C-Map charting and they run pretty good for their age. Older software is not so good. There are many posts on the forum on the subject that you might find helpful. Some accessory items might move forward depending on the unit but the displays and radar can not go with the newer NavNets.

Is the software update likely to speed anything up? The screen refresh on the GPS takes longer than the time until the next refresh when I'm zoomed in.

Thanks

C-map software is about twice as fast as Navionics on the Vx2 and newer versions of C-map are much faster than the old ones. It is a older system but it runs pretty well when brought up to speed. If you want no redraw for charts you must move to the newer systems.

I read a few posts about updating. It looks like you have to provide an SD card image? Is the CMAP built-in or is it an add on where I have to buy a chip?

Doing a software update to the machine and charts are two different subjects. The update software and instructions are posted under the product of our website (http://www.FurunoUSA.com) . It will require a blank 2GB or less SD card to put the software on. (see posted instructions) If you need to convert a unit you must contact your distributor or dealer. If you are a Furuno USA customer an official case can be opened at our website under SUPPORT - ASK A QUESTION. Alternatively most dealers can preform the service (for fee) if you don't want to do it yourself. C-Map Chart cards are purchased from the Furuno dealer, C-Map dealer, or directly from C-Map.

So it sounds like the CMAP is just the card. From what I had been reading it sounded like the CMAP was the embedded chart in the machine as opposed to an add-on card.

What does the upgrade get me other than the ability to use C-MAP cards?

Depends on what software you have in the unit now. Do you have your full program number from the machine? No charts do not come with the machine or loaded internally, they are read directly from the chart chip inserted into the machine.

Can VX2 MFD's be replaced with TZT2 MFD's and then be connected to existing peripherals (for example existing radar scanners, SC50, FA150, GP32)?
My apologies if I missed the answer to this elsewhere.

We have adapter panels that allow the TZTL12F to drop into the hole where a Vx2 10.4 was previously. It can interface with many accessories depending on what they are and the age with proper interfacing. The radar from the Vx2 can NOT be used on anything newer. DRS units (Digital Radar Scanners) started after the Vx2 with the NN3D. The newer units like TZT2 use DRS radars and they can't connect to older analog radars like those used for the Vx2.

Back