Navnet VX2 - no GPS or AIS

LasrSlr

Hello. I have inherited a Navnet VX2 "Black Box" type system, where there is one 15" display in the sailboat's cockpit and another down below at the nav station. Worked pretty well for a few years. It has radar, GPS and AIS feeding into it. Recently, the GPS and AIS have stopped displaying on the Navnet / Chartplotter. Radar still displays on the plotters. I can see that the GPS and AIS head units are functioning, it just seems they're not communicating with the network. Any ideas? This seems like there must be some doodad that allows the various sensors to communicate with the network, and maybe that is shot?

What is the model of the GPS?
What is the model of the AIS?
Have you recently purchased a new chart card since the last time everything was working?
What version of software is in the Vx2?

GPS is a GP-37 and the AIS is an FA-150. I have not done anything recently with cards or software since the last time the system was working properly. Will try to remember to check the software version next time on the boat. The GPS is happily reporting the correct position, apparently to nowhere. The AIS is complaining that it doesn't know its own position.
This really feels like whatever doodad connects all the various pieces of the system has failed. The radar is displaying on the screens, but that probably has its own attachment cable to the system, no? I attached some pics below, which I hope are helpful:

Furuno 1.jpg

Furuno 2.jpg

Furuno 3.jpg

It sounds like you might have a NMEA multiplexer or something as you suspect between your GPS and the NavNet. It most likely has gone bad because both your NavNet and AIS unit is reporting no GPS data. It also could be you have no NMEA multiplexer and someone has placed too many listeners on the GPS output and has blown the port. You will need to check your drawings or discover how everything is wired to investigate.

So, I tried to get various local electronics guys involved in this to no avail. The guys that made the multiplexer threw shade at the concept of the multiplexer failing, but given the common-sense appeal of that as the culprit and the difficulty of getting anyone local interested in reviving this thing, I went ahead and ordered a new multiplexer to see if a couple hundred bucks and a quick swap-out would solve the communications problem. I'm going to try to make that swap this weekend and we'll see where that gets us.

Ultimately, I'm just trying to eke out a couple more seasons with this setup before upgrading, so now this thread is turning more towards what is the upgrade strategy to get from the system in the pics above, to a new system? So as you can see in the pics above, I currently have a "doghouse" up in the cockpit that houses an RCU-017 keyboard and some kind of display screen, and then a second dumb display down at the nav station, and an RPU-015 (that's the "black box"?) behind the nav station. So, here's what I'm imagining the process to be, but I'd love any thoughts on the accuracy (or wisdom) of setting off down this road:

1. Doghouse in cockpit: Demolish and sell display unit and keyboard on eBay.
2. Below: Uninstall RPU-15 and eBay.
3. Radar Mast: Remove radome (won't work with current gen systems - probably due for age-related failure)?

THEN

1. New TZT15F on bracket, after the old doghouse is removed (probably can't reuse that doghouse? Maybe a scanstrut pod?)
2. What happens below? Is there just a video out from the TZT15F that will mirror the output down to the old video monitor below? That would be easy? Adding a 2nd TZT would be expensive and difficult (different dimensions with existing screen)? Is there an equivalent of the RPU-015 needed? Doesn't seem so?
3. Presumably mount a new DRS4DL+ or similar?

Budgeting: Using notional Defender pricing and allowing for some cables / doodads and assuming it's a DIY project, about $7-8k?

Love any thoughts you guys have. Thanks!

I think it would be best to call into tech support to discuss your upgrade plans. The TZT2 and DRS4D+ would work fine. It would be good to know what other accessories and items from the older system that could be interfaced/reused. The TZT2 has a HDMI video out that you might be able to use on your external monitor with a simple adapter or converter. (Note HDMI and DVI-D are the same data just different connection) I would recommend calling on a Thursday when support is less busy but not after any holidays. (410-479-4420 or 360-834-9300)

Back