Navnet VX2 Depth Sounder problem

A

Anonymous

I have a B744V transducer connected to a DFF1. The DFF1 is connected with Cat 5 cable to an Ethernet Switch. The Ethernet Switch is then connected to a 1920 and a 1720 with NavNet 000-159-705 (RJ-45 to 6 pin) cables.

The settings on both displays are AUTO Mode OFF, range to 15 feet and high frequency (I need accuracy in shallow water) and using these settings I get a good and accurate Bottom Echo. I have a second Simrad Depth Sounder and it correlates with the Furuno Bottom Echo.

I do not get a digital display of depth on either the sounder screen or on any other screens. Changing the Gain or Signal level has no effect on this problem. However the digital depth display appears momentarily when I toggle the Hide Show button. This is true for both the 1920 and 1720 displays.

Seems like the system knows what the depth is but does not display it. What can I do?

If you have good bottom echo but not getting digital depth, it could be that your depth source setting is wrong. Please check MENU- SYSTEM CONFIG - SYSTEM SETUP - NAV OPTION- NAV SOURCE SETTINGS and ensure your depth source is setup for ETR (not NMEA). If that is correct and you don't have depth I suggest lowering your sounder bottom level adjustment.

Depth Source is ETR.
Bottom Level for both HF and LF is +000.
As I said, the correct depth is momentarily displayed when I hit the Hide Show key and then it disappears.

Our sounders have two channels that process the received returns. The first channel controls the regular sounder presentation and is affected by the gain, clutter, hue and TVG controls. The second channel is for the digital display and is controlled by the Bottom Level adjustment. This adjustment sets a threshold for the sounder. For the DFF1/3 the default setting is -20.
Try to reset the Bottom Level (or threshold) on the DFF1 to the negative mid-forties on both frequencies. Also note that the performance of both Auto modes (Fishing & Cruising) is affected by the Bottom Level control.

Back