navnet vx2 adding AIS & Software upgrade

ABYSS974

Hello to all members of the forum,
In the first place, I would like apologize for the quality of my English, I hope you will understand me, :)
I'm living in Reunion Island (French overseas territory in Indian Ocean)
I own a FAETON 11.80 (38 ft) Moraga Fly equipped with three units furuno navnet vx 2: 1 of 10 '' (master) and 2 of 7 '' (slave).
My current software version is 195002401.07 as shown
I recently installed a vhf ais (navicom rt850 n2k).
So I want to add AIS to the devices , but reading the forum I learned that my version of the software was not compatible and that it had to be updated.
I followed the furuno document's instructions (Nav Net VX2 Software Procedure) by downloading the update to an SD card (16gb).
When I insert the SD card into the slot of the device nothing happens when I turn on.
Is my original version of the software compatible with this update?
Have I used the right sd card format or made an error when dowloaded the files?
I'm a little lost ... :thumbdown

Any help would be really appreciated.

Best regards

thumbnail.jpg

The Vx2 is an older system introduced in 2005 and requires the use of SD cards that are within the SD standard (no larger than 2GB). Larger SDHC and SDXC sizes are not supported. If you place the software on a smaller card (2GB or less), the upgrade should work for you.

Hi Jonhy
Many thanks for reply.
The sd card I used is a 8 go, I will try with a 2go
I will let you know .
Have a nice day

hi Jonhy
I copied the files (3) update software on a sd 256mb card the only one I could get. (It's difficult to find a 2GB sd card or less here, .. I ordered it but I have not yet had)
So I tried an update, without success.
Unlike previous attempts, the device turns on, the data appears on the screen (except that of the map map since I removed it).
Maybe the format of the card is not suitable?

Unlike previous attempts, the device turns on, the normal data appears on the screen (except that of the c-map card since I removed it).
Can you tell me what does not work?
Thanks for your help

There are two versions of software (CCFL and LED backlit). Which did you download? Your unit is CCFL so if you use the other it won't work. Card formatting can be a problem. You might try formatting it with the Panasonic SD card formatting program.

Hello Jonhy
You were right, I downloaded the wrong version of the software. :mrgreen:
Finally, I was able to update my software this morning, everything went very well, thank you once again for your good advice
Now just one last question about the wiring between the vhf AIS and the NNvx2.
To get some AIS target on my chartplotter what PIN color do I have to use on my data furuno cable (7pin colors) to wiring on the AIS ?
Thank you very much
BERTRAND.

(for 10.4") AIS goes into data 2 on the Yellow (+) and Green (-) wires at 38,400 baud. Don't forget to change your baud rate of the Vx2 data port #2 in the port setup. The other wires of port#2 can not be used as it now becomes an AIS input port only.

Good Morning Johny,

I wired the data pin as you indicated me.

the yellow pin (+) from the nnvx2 on the + from VHF AIS
the green pin (-) on the - from VHF AIS.
and I changed the baud rate of the Vx2 data port #2 in the port setup. (38 400 bauds)

two results:
1) no AIS target on my chart plotter
2) and no the GPS position on my vhf (asn)

For your information the vhf (asn) is wired on the nnvx2 as follows:
+ on the brown pin of furuno data cable
- on the white pin of furuno date cable

This may be due to a bad connection on one of the device ports?

Please let me know what can I do.

Thank you once again to help me solve my problem

Bertrand

For your information the vhf (asn) is wired on the nnvx2 as follows:
+ on the brown pin of furuno data cable
- on the white pin of furuno date cable
Brown is not a normal color for the Vx2 data cables. What port do you have the GPS wired?

Hi John
There are 6 colors pins on the data cable: yellow, green, black, grey, brown, and white + braid.
See the attached pics (sorry for the quality because it's almost the night here).
I send you pics from the screen about the differents ports used

Hi Johny
It looks like the pics are not sent, Because the files were too large
Here is the data cable with pin color

Attachments

• 20190409_181136.jpg
    20190409_181136.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,548
  • 20190409_181159.jpg
    20190409_181159.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,548
and the pics of the screen ( ports data)

Thank you very much

Bertrand

Attachments

• 20190409_182747.jpg
    20190409_182747.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,548
  • 20190409_182809.jpg
    20190409_182809.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,548
  • 20190409_182830.jpg
    20190409_182830.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,548
Your data 2 port is set for 4800 not the required 38,400.
You wiring isn't Furuno cabling so I can't comment on that. Once you get AIS wired properly it should be seen using the data 2 port monitor.

Hi Jonhy,

Thank you for your answer.

I spent half a day checking and understanding the connections and wiring of the device:

- the GPS is plugged into port 1 (when I take off the plug, no more gps connection);
- on port 2, it's the vhf (dsc) + the autopilot navpilot 511 (when I disconnect the plug, no more GPS data on the autopilot and on the VHF DSC
- when I select 34800 bauds on port 2, I do not have any GPS data either on the AP and on the VHF dsc

If I understood everything from what you told me and what I read about the different threads on the forum, does port 2 have to be exclusively dedicated to AIS?

In this case, on which port I have to connect the VHF and the AP?

Best regards.

does port 2 have to be exclusively dedicated to AIS?

CORRECT

In this case, on which port I have to connect the VHF and the AP?

A data port on another display or you will have some work to properly use the RS232 of data port 4. You would need a level converter at minimum to convert the RS232 to needed RS422. Normally boats have more than one NavNet display so you leverage the ports on the other connected units.

Back