NavNet 1 Software Update Question

Adeotec

I recently purchased a boat with a NavNet 1 system. It has one 10" display (RDP-139), two 7" displays, two RD30 displays, ETR-6/10N Network sounder, Nav Pilot 500 and a 4kw radar. All of the components are from 2003 or 2004.

The system is running "Version 19" software. A local marine electronics dealer said they can update the system with the latest software.

Does each component have their own specific software update? I know the 10" and 7" displays will have their new software uploaded.
Does the sounder, radar, auto pilot, and RD30 display also receive their own separate software update or does updating the 10" and 7" display automatically update all the components of the system?

Thank you

Yes. Each device receives it's own update. The sounder, NAVpilot500 and RD30 may have updates, but not the radar because it doesn't have it's own processor. If I had to guess, I'd say your NAVpilot500 and maybe the RD30 would be the only ones that need updating other than the NAVnet displays. The dealer you mentioned should be able to update all of those for you.

Thank you very much. Do you know if type of cable required to update the sounder, NavPilot and RD30 is the same 7 Pin cable used for the 10' and 7' displays? I'm considering buying that cable anyway.

The electronics dealer I contacted is associated with the Pursuit dealer I use for general marine service. They are not listed on Furuno's website as an authorized dealer when I use the "Dealer Locater" feature on website. Is this a concern? I know they sell/install Furuno products. Unfortunately the dealers listed on Furuno's website are further away. Additionally, one of the closest dealers listed on Furuno's website said it was impossible to upload waypoints to a Navnet 1 system without keying each waypoint into the head unit. I believe that isn't true so I'm a little leery of using them.

Thank you for such a quick response

No. The cables and connections for the different units are unique to that device.

The NAVnet displays you have are updated via an Ethernet connection; the network connection on the back of the NAVnet are 6-pin, so I'm not sure what 7-pin cable you are referring to. Since you already have a network of displays, you already have a HUB or switch that they all go to...the laptop used to update the software can simply plug in to the HUB/switch using a straight RJ45 Ethernet cable.

The NAVpilot uses a serial connection wired to the RS232 port on the processor. The RD30 uses a serial connection with an RS232-to-RS422 level converter to update using a computer.

It's best to use an authorized Furuno USA dealer, but there are a lot of competent non-dealers out there that can be used too. You are correct that uploading waypoints to a NAVnet 1 can be done via a computer connection to DATA4 using a 7-pin cable to a serial connection. The waypoints are generally brought in using a computer program such as Andren Seamarks or GPS Utility. Many dealers have these programs and know how to use them, but there are some that do not. Maybe the one you mentioned does not... Each dealer is independently owned and operated, so there are things that are outside of Furuno USA's control, such as what services a dealer offers.

Back