Nav300 with Simrad RPU300 connection

Hello guys,

I have a 45' wooden full displacement boat with a single inboard John Deere 6068 M1 engine 265HP. the full weight is appr 42000 lbs. I have 1x tz3 16, 1 x tz3 12, 1 x tz2 15, scx20, B275LHW and 24" nxt radardome. The steering cylinder is 42 cu inches. I have installed my existing Navpilot 300 and Furuno RRU FAP6112. Due to the size of the boat and steering cylinder I have decided to go with Simrad RPU300 is a reversible hydraulic steering pump, already in place.

My question is, how should I do the electrical connection with the pump? The pump falls over the limits of the pilot's current (Amps) abilities. What should I use to match them, a relay or?

Thank you,

There is no official support for any type of work around of the amperage handling of our NavPilot systems. Much of the handling characteristics are determined by amperage applied over a set period of time. Any type of relays or amplifiers would allow for changes that the NavPilot is not programmed to account for.

The NavPilot 300 can handle 10 amps continuous and up to 20 amps for up to five seconds.
The NavPilot 711C can handle 25 amps continuous and up to 50 amps for up to five seconds.

Quite often, systems like you are describing run high pressure engine driven power assist systems that would require a flow diverter and solenoid. If that is the case, it would require a NavPilot 711C as well.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Totally agree, considering RPU300 has has 5-20 Amp continues amp. current draw (50 Amp. for 5 secs), will Furuno 711C be ok if I replace Nav300 for my inboard?

Yes, the 711C can handle the 5-20 amp continuous draw. That is well with specification. This is one of the remaining items on back-order recovering from the component shortages. Your dealer or reseller can get that information for you.

Hello again, I have purchased Furuno 711c with fluxgate compass to replace my existing navpilot 300 with simrad RPU300 pump. The pump and hydraulic system will not be replaced and fluxgate compass will not be installed (I have Furuno satcomp) I will replace the control unit and the prcessor only. I hope this will work.

My question is, is it a simple replacement by maintaining the existing electrical cables or do I need to change & update the existing ones?

Thank you for your help in advance

The control head is done totally different on the NP711C as it is a special bus directly from the processor, unlike the Navpilot 300 that the control head is NMEA 2000. At the processor, the pump connection and input power should be an easy enough swap out. The installation manual should come with the pilot unless you are buying used. Be careful not toss out the provided 7 pin termination plug that comes in the box for the back of the control head.

Back