Autopilot pump for heavy boat w/ 1 engine

Hi ,

I am building a 40 foot wooden displacement boat with one inboard M2 engine 265HP. the full weight is appr 32000 lbs. The steering cylinder is 42 cu inches. I will install my existing Navpilot 300 and looking for pump and rru advice. RRU unit will be FAP6112 and I was thinking to add simrad RPU 160 or 300. Any thought and or advice?

I have 1x tz3 16, 1 x tz3 12, 1 x tz2 15, scx20 and hopefully I will add nxt radardome.
Thanks

You can't use the simrad RRU because they work off a freq not resistance. I am mostly concerned about you having 42 cu steering fluid to drive. What kind of pump are you using? That type of fluid will require a large pump that most likely would exceed the abilities of the NP300 to drive.

Hi Johnny,
Thank you for your answer. I am using PUMPOCT10-12 in a much smaller boat. I wonder if I can use NP300 in a bigger and heavier boat by just replacing the pump and hoses. What are resistance values needed for the pump? I would like to proceed with Furuno system without mixing any other brands unless I have to.

By the way, I read my initial question once again and I did not understand why RRU FAP6112 from Furuno will not work. I just want to replace the pump with simrad 300 pump.

For inboards, the RRU FAP6112 is excellent. The rule of thumb is to always get a right sized pump for the job. Octopus pumps are boss! I'd compare the Octopus 10-12, or larger Octopus 16-12 with the RPU300 imho. ;)

Hope this helps,

- Maggy :sail

Of course the Furuno RRU will work. The Simrad RRUs will not. Keeping pumps in place (including other manufacturers) from older systems is common but it must fall under the limits of the pilot's current (Amps) abilities. It isn't about the pump you are using now; it is about the size of pump you will be using on this larger hydraulic system.

Back