Connection help with Simrad AP 24

jgerken

Have purchased all new Furuno TZT3, radar, DFF3D, SCX20. I have a Simrad AP 24 autopilot on my 30 foot Rampage Express with Yanmar engines. Is there a simple connection/wire to make it work with all of the new system or do I have to upgrade? If I have to upgrade which unit fits best. Thanks in advance. :furuno

You might check with Simrad support but pretty sure the AP24 uses "SimNET" which is like NMEA 2000 and from most cases I have seen, they accept NMEA 2000 data just fine. If so, the Simrad and the Furuno would be put on the same 2000 bus so they can communicate. It would work just fine. If the pilot is older and only offers 0183; you can still drive the pilot by using the 0183 data from your TZT3 multi-cable but if you wish to have heading come back you would want a 0183 to 2000 converter to bring the pilot heading onto your standard NMEA 2000 bus. I think the AP24 offers "simNet" and it should be just a simple drop to the 2000 bus but you most likely need their proprietary cable. I wouldn't remove a good working pilot.

Back