Mistake with ETR-6/10N running at 1kW vs. 600W

Rod Buster

I messed up.

I'm working my way through installing a second-hand 1943C system on an older boat. I've had the display and GPS going for a while, and finally installed a 525STID-PWD 600W transom mount (10-pin) on a recent haul-out to replace an older Airmar model.

I wired the 10-pin from the 525STID-PWD to the ETR-6/10N and connected the ETR-6/10N to the power source and ground, but did not have time to do the network cable wiring up to the RDP-149, so it was in that idle state for a week.

The ETR-6/10N was on J12 jumper 3-4 for 1kW for a through-hull transducer in the previous owner's install. There was no network activity during this time, but the ETR-6/10N was connect to both the transducer and the battery bank with the J12 jumper at 3-4. I messed up by not knowing about the jumper.

Did I fry my new 600W transducer by having it plugged in and at the 1kW setting? Or, does the ETR-6/10N wait for a network signal to send power to the transducer? If so, I should be safe. Jumper has been changed and I'm working through the install. If I fried it, I can deal with the $150 for a new one, but the $1k for the haul out wasn't going to be needed for a few more years, which would be a bummer.

Part 2 question: on the crossover network cable, the one that came with mine was cut and I didn't get the cut piece. What is the pin crossover map from one end to the other? I've already installed the 4.9m long piece without the head one one side. I'd prefer to splice it there because my installation would not fit the head anyway. I'll ohm out the one that was cut and make the crossover manually at the piece heading to the RDP-149. Which pins cross over?

Sorry, the system is a 1933C not a 1943C. RDP-139, 4kW 41" open array, ETR-6/10N network sounder with a 525STID-PWD transom transducer, PG1000 heading (yet to be installed), GP320B GPS antenna.

To clarify the second question regarding the crossover pins, the wiring diagram in the ETR-6/10N manual shows the network connection, but the pins are shown as straight 1-1, 2-2, etc. This doesn't make sense for a crossover cable. I can't find the crossover pin information, but my best guess is that it should be:

RDP-149--------ETR-6/10N
1-------------------3
2-------------------4
3-------------------1
4-------------------2
6-------------------6

Can someone confirm that is correct?

Here's the diagram from the manual, which doesn't show a crossover.
Furuno.JPG

Update on this issue:

Didn't sound like anyone had an answer so I called tech support. Helpful as always.

It sounds like the ETR-6/10N will send power to the transducer, even without a network signal, so there's a decent chance the transducer is fried, as it was hooked up to a powered ETR set at 1kW for a week. I'll be able to confirm whether it is damaged over the weekend when I can get it hooked up to the RDP-139 over the network cable.

On the second point, the pin diagram that I have above is correct if you're trying to splice together a crossover network cable. You have to ohm out the pins since the color configuration of the wires is different based on which end is cut (as other threads have said), but the pin diagram from one end to the other would be:
1---3
2---4
3---1
4---2
6---6

Obviously, it doesn't matter which end goes to which unit (display vs. sounder), just that the crossover happens between RX+/- and TX+/-.

Hopefully I'll get it wired and find a working transducer tomorrow. If not, an expensive lesson learned.

Good news: everything works. Depth, speed, and temp are all working so the ETR hooked up with power at 1kW, but with no network signal did not damage the transducer elements.

The pin connections I figured out above were correct for splicing a crossover network cable.

Thanks for reading my blog.

Thanks, Johnny. Most people will likely have an intact blue network crossover cable, or at least both ends to splice together.

My situation was unique in that the previous owner did not have the shorter cut end, and I didn't have enough room to fish the larger end through some routing holes from the ETR to the helm anyway. Pinout with the ohm meter worked great and I now have the sounder and RDP-139 talking fluently.

Now to tackle the PG1000 and that headache of a wire routing job. Radar overlay awaits.

Back