marking squid with new 295

ruddy

Just hooked up my new (Feb 2024) 295 with Airman B260.
What is best frequency for locating squid ?
Any tips appreciated for ID ing squid marks.
Thanks Ruddy

Ruddy,
I’ve been told that 133kHz can be a good frequency for Squid, along with 38kHz. However, I’ve never tested that frequency for Squid detection myself.

Also, keep in mind that FCV295/FCV1150 has the following frequency ranges that are blocked out so this will limit the frequencies that you want to use: 53-65kHz, 111-139kHz and 171-183kHz. So, I would just use a higher frequency of 200kHz plus when detecting for Squid.

What you can do is set your FCV295’s 50kHz side for 42kHz and a Bandwidth of 21kHz. This will allow you to slew the frequency 31.5 to 52.5kHz. Then on the high frequency side, (remember that the FCV296 is blocked out from transmitting in the 171-183 range) set the bandwidth for 34kHz. This will allow you to slew the frequency from 183kHz up to 217kHz.

- Deep Blue ;)

Thank you DB.
That is really good info. I had read an article about different KHz for different species squid, bluefin etc but could not find it again.
I will have to learn how to use the "Zoom display" maybe set it up to read the bottom and up 15 or 20 feet hoping that helps me mark squid better. I will try to set up a user display for this.
Any tips greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ruddy

Ruddy,

In the past I've researched and found that most Commercial Squid Fishing Fleets were using either 38kHz or 200kHz + for their fish finders frequencies.

- Deep Blue :cool:

Last edited:
Hi DB,
I tried to change the frequencies to the above #'s use page 19 of the Manuel frequency choice and control but could not.
Can I change them some other way ?
Also I was wondering if I can change them on display 2 will it affect all screens ? Would display 2 log and remember or do I change them every time I need those settings ?
Thanks

Ruddy,

If you follow these directions, you should be able to manually enter the frequencies of the B260 transducer:

Attachments

• FCV295 Manual Transducer Setting.jpg
    FCV295 Manual Transducer Setting.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 7
why are the frequencies blocked out?
i’m shopping for a transducer and fish finder for a commercial dragger looking for squid in shallow water less then 200 ft what combination do you recommend

Hi Deep Blue,
I can not find the XDCR dialogue box, I did not see it in the manual.
How do I get to it ?.
Thank you Ruddy.

FVV,

Here are the following frequencies that are blocked out for the FCV295/FCV1150: 53-65kHz, 111-139kHz and 171-183kHz.

These blocked out frequencies may be a limitation for certain transducers that you might want to utilize.

- Deep Blue

Back