Making a Bootable SD Card

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I know making a bootable SD card is complicated by the different computer systems and software versions, but I'd like to know for Windows 7 if there is a better way then using the following command line method.

To make a bootable SDHC/SD memory card for Windows 7, follow the steps:

Connect the SD/SDHC card to your computer – make sure the card is empty
and you do not have any valuable data in the card.

Go to Command prompt – In order to do that, go to start menu and type
cmd and enter.

Go to diskpart – type diskpart and enter.

In the new window, type; list disk – the window should be system32/diskpart.

From the list of the disks that your computer has, look for your
SD/SDHC card. you can refer to the memory space of the disks to
identify your SD card.

Type; select diskX – the name of the disk you want to use i.e. the SD card.

Type; Clean

Type; Create Partition Primary

Type; Active

Type; Format Fs= NTFS Quick

Type; Assign

Type; Exit

This method works fine but I'm not a fan of command line stuff since you can really do some damage if you don't know what you are doing (like me). Are there any recommended utilities to make bootable SD cards for TZT MFDs?

Thank you Ackbar. Appreciate the quick response. I was hoping for a PC based method since it's simpler for me than running back and forth to the boat. I used to have a utility from my MFD8 days but that's going back almost 10 years. Plus, whenever I go into serviceman on either of my MFD's I kinda feel like I'm in that PC command prompt world where destruction is just one click away . . lol.

It is always more reliable to format the SD cards in the TZT for best compatibility. The format is bootable NTFS. You can make one with the PC but I have found it to be painful and when done it has a 50/50 chance of reading correctly by the system. Once you make one for doing an OS/App update, it is good to keep it; just delete the files and use for your next upgrade. If you really want to make a bootable NTFS card, there are plenty of instructions online like this one.. https://www.remosoftware.com/info/boot- ... ing-system

Back