Loading a weather file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taniwani

Furuno Super Fan
The TZT2 manual describes the procedure to load a 'weather file' via USB or SD-card.
Assuming that 'weather file' must mean a standard GRIB file with file extension .grb, I tried that, but the file would not show up as a choice.

Loading weather files directly from the internet seems to work fine, but on longer passages I will not have direct internet access and I get my updated weather files on SSB via winlink. It would be nice if I could somehow transfer those to the TZTL12F. Any idea what the TZT2 would expect as a proper 'weather file'?

The Grib file must come from Nobeltec Tz. Where are you getting your grib file? Not all grib files are created equal.

Usually they come from SailDocs and what I get there seems fine with MaxSea.
The TZT2 didn't 'see' the file on the USB stick, so I thought it might be the file extension .grb that it wasn't expecting.

Just got my second TZT2 here and I will try again, maybe I made some other mistake.
MaxSea takes several extensions for GRIB like .bz2, .grbzip, and .grbbz2 aside of the usual .grb

.grbzip is a zipped version maybe that's what it want. I'll try and let you know.

Found out what works:

I need to take a regular GRIB file and compress it (zip it) and call the result .grbzip

Also I noticed that I have to restart the unit every time I replace to USB stick to make it mount.

Further it seems that there is a size limit to the area covered by the GRIB file, a full northern Atlantic GRIB to see the big weather situation isn't loading, no error, just doesn't load it. It seems that in general the scope of the weather window is limited to 1800 miles across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back