Intermittent sounder issue

I have an ETR-6/10N sounder direct-wired into the network port of a VX2. Always worked great for years. Recently it started acting up and showing a fixed 3.9 ft. Sometimes it come back alive on it's own, sometimes it seems if I reset the sounder via the breaker or turn the VX2 off then on, then the sounder comes back alive. Other-times it doesn't respond to rebooting but then just randomly starts working again.

I checked all of the connections and they seem solid, tried moving the power to a different breaker incase it was a faulty breaker. Looking at the manual there is a green LED status light - guess I should try and see what state that is in when the sounder is in it's "3.9 ft" mode, although it's tricky to access when underway.

Any other ideas for troubleshooting?

Looking at the green status light when it happens is a good idea. If you haven't been under the cover of the unit before the problem developed (like to change the power setting with the jumpers) then I would guess it is a circuit problem. I would star by seeing what that light is doing just in case it is a communication or other error. If it is a circuit issue it might be better to find a used BBFF1 (ETR6/10N) or a newer DFF1 or BBDS1 unit to replace it with.

Back