Help with PSU12 Setup

cstilphen

I have started a upgrade from four NN3D to four TZT Touch 3. Its mostly working but the problem now is I have to use a power supply for the radar RDS6. I have the PSU12 and there is no clear install info on the furuno site and nothing of any help in the box. Im using a HUB 101 to network all four of the TZT units.
The power supply has the 3 pin RDS connection which appears to go directly to the radar, the PSU also has two network cable inputs and not sure if or how I use them? The radar is already connected to the HUB 101 so is the only connection I need to do is just to sent power to the radar via the RDS cable? Neither the TZT, RDS6 or PSU install manuals have any clear information on this. Thanks for listening.

The PSU12 has the 3 pin power needed for the DRS6 cable. The other part of the scanner cable is an RJ45 network connection. The RJ45 is your Ethernet and normally would go into the RJ45 connection of the PSU12. The PSU12 has another RJ45 and this would go to your MFD unit or hub to provide radar communications to the network. In general information is found in the DRS6A installation manual. https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/s.../drs2d_4d_4a_thru_25a_installation_manual.pdf
In cases of running the older radar, as someone else said in another thread; the software should be updated so the TZT and above can see it. Also when retrofitting older systems; don't use the older HUB101 units (-11 or -22). They are too slow for TZT and above. Any TZ unit will need either a newer HUB101 (-55) or an off the shelf hub like a netgear. When using the PSU12 with newer systems, the J7 Jumper (talked about in the PSU012 manual) should be installed as the newer systems don't offer the "power sync" offered by the NN3D systems.

Thanks Johnny,

Still not there for me.
Do I need the jumper J7 if I am using tzt3's ?
The RDS6 is currently connected to the hub as are the TZT's See attached picture of how its set up now.
If my drawing wont work how exactly do I connect the PSU12 with the hub connections? Are you able to mark up my drawing?

ThanksIMG_7503 (1).jpg

Yes, your diagram is correct for your Digital Radar System, 6kW...DRS6A. Yes, the J7 jumper must be installed for the PSU012 to work with your TZT3 system. I've attached the PSU012 wiring page where step 4 has a picture of where to put the J7 jumper goes. As @Johnny Electron said, please ensure that your HUB101 is not a -11 or -22 model as it will not work with the TZT3 system. To see what version you have, take the top cover off of the HUB101 and the metal shield plate underneath...In the upper right corner of the board (if the cables are coming out of the bottom or towards you) there will be a board number a Furuno propeller symbol and just to the right of that will be 2 numbers. If the 2 numbers are 11 or 22, then either replace the HUB101 with a new one or simply purchase a Netgear ProSafe switch to replace the hub you have. Lastly, please ensure that your DRS6A has newer software so that it can be seen and used by the TZT3 system. If it has new enough software, it'll show up in the sensor list on your TZT3 (Home-Settings-Initial Setup) and the version will be listed there.

Attachments

• PSU012_wiring.pdf
    181.5 KB · Views: 3
Yes, your diagram is correct for your Digital Radar System, 6kW...DRS6A. Yes, the J7 jumper must be installed for the PSU012 to work with your TZT3 system. I've attached the PSU012 wiring page where step 4 has a picture of where to put the J7 jumper goes. As @Johnny Electron said, please ensure that your HUB101 is not a -11 or -22 model as it will not work with the TZT3 system. To see what version you have, take the top cover off of the HUB101 and the metal shield plate underneath...In the upper right corner of the board (if the cables are coming out of the bottom or towards you) there will be a board number a Furuno propeller symbol and just to the right of that will be 2 numbers. If the 2 numbers are 11 or 22, then either replace the HUB101 with a new one or simply purchase a Netgear ProSafe switch to replace the hub you have. Lastly, please ensure that your DRS6A has newer software so that it can be seen and used by the TZT3 system. If it has new enough software, it'll show up in the sensor list on your TZT3 (Home-Settings-Initial Setup) and the version will be listed there.
Thank You so much, Its up and running!

Back