help with identifying transducer

A

Anonymous

I am trying to figure out what model transducer I have on my boat (built in 1996) that I purchased (used) last year. The yellow tag on the cable near the sounder head is nearly illegible. I can only make out the following information: "Furuno", "10M". I think I'm also reading "000015016" and "50B".

The transducer is pocket mounted in the keel and is football shaped with a bronze face approx 4.5 inches wide and 7.5 inches long and a black circle in the middle approx 4 inches in diameter and two holes on either end of the center circle. It's currently hooked to a furuno FCV 581 at 50KhZ.

I suspect based on searching pics on the web that it would be a furuno 50B-6G. Does that sound correct?

sorry, i went back to look again and now i'm thinking that it may be a fairing around a rubber coated transducer. so if it is a fairing, then that black circle in the middle would be the transducer face. so....does CA50B-6B make sense for this picture and hooked up to an fcv581?

here are pictures of the top and bottom of what I can see

Attachments

• IMG_20151028_114254.pdf
    432.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20151028_114823.pdf
    397.6 KB · Views: 127
Kennemj,
The face of a 6B is 72mm or 2.83" in diameter.

Snips

I measured this one at 3.25". So that doesn't completely jive either. After speaking with the airmar folks today, they told me that all Airmar transducers have "Airmar" on the cable sheath where it exits the transducer. Mine does not...or at least doesn't anymore.

by the way, many thanks to all of you for entertaining my ineptitude. it's sincerely appreciated!

kennemj,
Your original thought may have been correct, it probably is a 50B-6G. There aren't many of those out in the field and seeing one with a gray housing is a real surprise.

Snips

again, thanks for the input. Any idea on the best way to validate that thought? I'm currently knuckle deep in sorting out an in and out power issue on the fcv 581 and also trying to evaluate what my options are for replacing 581 unit without a major hole making project in my hull to replace the transducer?

I'm not opposed to eventually replacing my transducer also, but cutting holes in my hull significantly cuts into my ability to go fishing. :)

kennemj,
I think the best way to tell is to measure between the two mounting bolts. The center to center measurement of the 6G should be 112mm or 4.4". So if you got one what can you do? Probably the least expensive is to try using the 8 to 10-pin adapter cable (P/N AIR-033-204). This would plug into your existing 8-pin transducer plug so you could plug into the newer sounders with 10-pin connectors. That being said, how well will it work? Hard to say because I have never tried it. The sounder you would be plugging into will be dual frequency (50/200) but CA50-6G is only 50Khz. You would see "something" on the 200Khz side but not much. Normally on these smaller sounders it is recommended to use the MB-1100 matching box when connecting into single frequency transducer.

Snips

Back