help getting navnet2 to talk to DFF1 and 50/200-1T

peachypete82

Hi guys.

Im hoping to find some help getting my sounder going. Ive recently picked up a boat that has navnet2 on it. Its got the main screen with radar (which works well) but the sounder never worked. The old owner gave me the old "ive not set it up yet but it works story". When using the MB1000 i was getting a depth reading of around 100meters when it was only 3 meters, so i knew the DFF1, the tranny and the matching box were working, but not entirely compatible

Anyways, when i looked at it, he said he recently changed the network sounder, which is now a DFF1. I assume it wasnt that before as the tranny we have is a 50/200-1T which was connected to the DFF1 via MB1000. The compatibility chart said this wasnt going to work, so i got a MB1100. So i plugged it all in yesterday, and i cant get a depth signal. Ive wired it up as per the DFF1 wiring diagram. This is what i have checked

DFF1 mode switch is set for Navnet2 mode (dips number 1 and 4 ON)
Dipswitch for Tranny is set to 1kW (dip number 1 ON)

DFF1 is connected to navnet screen via ethernet switch. I noticed only 1 link light, so i cleaned up the connector on the back of the screen and now have 2 link lights (DFF1 and Screen) so i assumed i had found the issue, but no good. But i can now assume both devices are on the network

I ran the system test -sounder test. I get a temp reading (10c, when the water is actually 20c) but no depth. I did notice that even if i remove the network cable, i get the same temp reading, which i expected to be no reading as the DFF1 is now disconnected.

The DFF1 light is flashing 1 second on, one second off. Though the odd thing is that even when i remove the network cable, it still blinks like that when the manual suggests it should go solid.

So, im hoping i could get some help troubleshooting. I guess first step is how do i verify the devices have valid IP addresses and are communicating? Secondly, how can i test the MB1100 and tranny?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

First I would recommend you check that the display in NOT in simulate mode. You are not going to get a temp from a disconnected network sounder. Either the unit is in simulate or your temp source is setup for NMEA device and not the sounder. Next, I would run the sounder test to see what if comes back with. MENU- SYSTEM CONFIG - SYSTEM SETUP - TEST & CLEAR - MEMORY I/O TEST - NETWORK SOUNDER TEST. (Note the flashing light of one second on and one second off is normal for a sounder-- after 4 mins of being powered on)

Hi Johnny.

Im sorry but this post is probably superceeded by a post i created whilst waiting for this one to be approved. The post is viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6727

But i think you are onto something. To confirm, i dont get a temp value when the sounder is disconnected, but i do get a temp value when it is connected, though the weird thing is the sounder doesn't have a temp sensor enabled transducer.

When i do the network sounder test, i can confirm i am getting data from the sounder as if i unplug the sounder the network sounder test page wont load, it bounces right back to the page before so i can confirm the values are coming from the network sounder, even if the values seem invalid.

Can you review my other post to get your thoughts? im wondering if the data format from the ETR is different to the DFF1 and the software on the RDP149 cant understand it

Pete

It appears your communications are good to the sounder. I have no worries about your cable connection to it. The sounder with the MB1100 and transducers is also fine as long as properly connected. The Vx2 can understand the DFF1 as long as it has newer software. Maybe that is the problem. Maybe you have very old software in the Display? What is the full program number on the screen as the unit boots up? (Starts out 195..........)
Also it says you are testing in the water. What depth of water is the boat sitting? Have you tried to take it out to deeper waters and try to get bottom displayed on the screen?

Hi Johnny

I havent tried in deeper water yet, though my main purposes for the sounds are to track depths in shallow bays where we anchor up. Depth at the moment is approx 2 meters. I just recorded a video for snips on the other thread, may be worth having a look.

I believe the RDP149 software is old, its 195002401.05. I have a feeling the message structure from the ETR and DFF1 are different and when i ran the setup wiz on the RDP149 it only had ETR as sounder source. Id expect to see DFF1 in the list if it was compatible?

Thanks Johnny

Hi Johnny. I've been doing some reading about the program. Appears I'm on 1.05. I downloaded the latest for the 1944c/nt (i assumed mine was 1944c/nt, can you confirm bu the existing program number, unit serial is also 4323-1864). I loaded up a fat formatted 2bg SD card and tried the procedure on the website. The unit doesn't notice the ad card. I read I need to step to 1.06 before going latest. Do you know if this is right? If so can you provide a download link to the software steps I need to do to go to latest software?

Thanks Johnny.

1.05 software dates back to 2005 and very old. This explains the problem talking to the sounder. That sounder didn't come out till a few years later so your software has no idea what it is. I guess the prior owner never found the need to update. You can't update with available software. 1.05 required a hardware mod for the network port and software installed at the service center. If you want to update it, it should go to our service center in Washington state. Being this unit also has an internal battery that should be changed about every 5-8 years, you might want to get that done at the same time. Being this is at 15 years old, it needs a few things to get refreshed.

Thanks Johnny. I suspect this may be the issue. I am in Australia, i dont know if the guys here at Taylor Marine offer the same service, ill check and if not ill arrange to send it to you guys

I am sure they can. If they need info on getting it done for you, ask them to contact the service manager at Furuno USA. We can assist them with the needed info. Shipping and sometimes duties can be a real pain on something that large.

Hi guys. Quick update on this. It ended up being a dead DFF1. I had a local service agent test the tranny, was fine, but the DFF was dead. got a second hand one and its all working now

Back