GPS Speed

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have (2) RDP-149 displays hooked to radar, sounder and gps receiver. Everything seems to work well except the display does not report the gps speed. I am fairly new to this system, but it came from a purchase of a used boat and the previous owner had everything set up and configured, and I have not changed anything....

Thanks,

Steve

Hello,

Follow the menu steps listed below to make sure the displays are set correctly.

In both displays.
MENU, SYSTEM CONFIGURATION, GENERAL SETUP, NEXT PAGE
SPEED: SOG.

In both displays.
MENU, SYSTEM CONFIGURATION, SYSTEM SETUP, PORT SETUP, DATA 1 and DATA 2:
OUTPUT DESTINATION: NO

In display with GPS connected directly.
MENU, SYSTEM CONFIGURATION, SYSTEM SETUP, PORT SETUP, OUTPUT THROUGH NETWORK:
Turn on GGA, VTG, ZDA.

With these settings, the displays should be showing the data correctly.

The only other thing I can think of is if you are referring to the data box not showing. If that is the case, reply back and I can cover those steps next.

Good luck,
Hurricane

Hurricane,

Thanks, what you provided is what I was asking..... The display box is there, it just shows zero mph.

Question, I noticed that you put OUTPUT DESTINATION: NO, what if I also wanted to send the NMEA OUT speed to my Smarcraft gauge? Can I still display the speed in my GPS and send it out to Smartcraft?

After I validate my configuration setup and it still doesn't work, then am I looking at a bad GPS receiver or something else?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,
If you are talking about NMEA 0183 data wired directly from a port (not over the network to another NavNet), then you need to turn on the sentences that Hurricane provided for THAT port. So, for example; if you are driving the NMEA data from your 10.4" data 2; you would need to setup the sentences for DATA 2. Once the VTG sentence (speed over ground and course over ground) is provide to the gage, it should be happy.

Back