GP1971F Depth range fluctuation when set on manual

ty_thomas

New GP1971F paired with a 525T-LTD/20 transducer. Not positive because the transducer doesn't have any marking on it. It's been a while since I installed it for my old unit. Running in 10-15' water up on plane with the sonar set to manual and high frequency, the depth fluctuated between the manual setting (~20') and 4000' and in between. Any suggestions?

Turn off auto range as it sounds like you are getting a bit of water turbulence while running. Turning off auto range should prevent it from seeking a deeper bottom when the turbulence knocks out your return signal.

Turn off auto range as it sounds like you are getting a bit of water turbulence while running. Turning off auto range should prevent it from seeking a deeper bottom when the turbulence knocks out your return signal.
Auto range was off. It was set to manual, high frequency and a gain of 51.

The transducer losing bottom is not a great thing. It might need to be relocated or boat speed lowered to reduce the amount of turbulence picked up. You can't change physics if there is too much turbulence there is no setting to change that. You might see if running dual freq helps because if one cuts out sometimes the other freq is catching a bottom signal. Ensure the face of whatever transducer that is is clean without marine buildup. Maybe @Deep Blue as some additional suggestions.

ty_thomas,

Can you provide a picture of your unit running in both Low and High Frequency in about 50' or more..?

- Deep Blue

The transducer losing bottom is not a great thing. It might need to be relocated or boat speed lowered to reduce the amount of turbulence picked up. You can't change physics if there is too much turbulence there is no setting to change that. You might see if running dual freq helps because if one cuts out sometimes the other freq is catching a bottom signal. Ensure the face of whatever transducer that is is clean without marine buildup. Maybe @Deep Blue as some additional suggestions.
I'm sure the transducer is good and the location is not an issue. It reads perfectly at speed when hooked up to my GP1870F.
ty_thomas,

Can you provide a picture of your unit running in both Low and High Frequency in about 50' or more..?

- Deep Blue
I'll try to get offshore next weekend and see how it does. I have a video of the fluctuations but I could not attach it to the post.

Back