Garmin to Furuno Feedback

DeepSouthTX

Furuno Fan
Guys I just bought a boat with a very new Garmin setup. I am moving to Furuno and have added the small tzt3 with the intention of selling the Garmin plotters and radar and adding Furuno TZT3 16" and radar. With that being said I am torn on the Radar. This boat has a 4ft Garmin xHD2 open array I need to verify if its the 12KW or 25KW. In my area we have never really looked for birds. We typically have limited radar usage. Marking distant shrimp boats and storms. For that the Garmin appears to work fine. That being said. I have already blown my original budget on boat purchase and upgrades... As expected. I can either keep the Garmin open array and the 12" display. And use that strictly for radar. Or sell it and get the new doppler Furuno Radome. So I would be going from a Garmin open array to Furuno doppler radome. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as performance between the 2? The Garmin option is 3x the money but that doesn't necessarily mean its 3x better. I have had older Furuno radars and I know that they are typically tip of the spear on performance compared to competitors. Any feedback would be apprecaited. Thank you

I was hoping some users here would respond to your question. I try not to throw sand on this forum and prefer to focus on the Furuno products and questions about them. It is a good question and there are a lot of opinions out there. I will say without a doubt the Furuno radars are much better when comparing like type radars. It is hard to compare a lower powered dome with a higher powered open array. By nature an open array with the larger antenna will offer better horizontal resolution. Because the DRS4DNXT offers radar rezboost, it can get pretty close to being a 3ft open array for target separation. I will say the larger open array you are comparing to is known to have a lot of problems with auto turning, as I have been told by several dealers. The other radar will take a lot of manual operations to make it as good as something which is much lower in class. You will see in our "Furuno Connections" shootout soon, when they cover the radars that there is a clear difference. Although a dome to open array comparison isn't exactly a fair fight, I think with the advance feature options and best in class auto tuning it will offer you much more than you would imagine. From talking to several customers here offline, I know several whom have crossed over due to our radar offering alone, after sampling that "other". I was really hoping one would provide you some first hand feedback. The post has been here awhile, so I didn't want you to think it was being ignored.

There is quite a bit of commentary on 'the hulltruth' forum(THT) regarding garmin radar. While there are those who like it there seem to be many who don't. It seems a lot of Garmin owners talk about radar failures. In fact my installer, a Garmin dealer, said I should not buy a Garmin Open array because of poor reliability, but saying the domes have been pretty good.

Also search the posts on that forum by user "Ifishmd" who has furuno radar and see his comments. He has posted screen shots of the nxt dome and has some very good commentary.

There are several posts in THT raving about the furuno xclass. Of course not much yet on THT regarding the new higher power NXT from Furuno.....

And in a post I made on this forum titled "New Higher power NXT" (or something like that) that I made several months ago there is a response from a garmin owner with some comments.

I have 2 garmin screens and am awaiting the episode of Furuno Connections that compares the 24 inch dome of Furuno and Garmin (as well as several other makers). Based on that review I may swap out one garmin for the new TZT3 12-inch and the furuno dome and use the other garmin as depth and backup charts.

Thanks Patch. Just a little inside info that you can pass back to them if you wish; we will be starting the Radar Shootout in episode 9. We will be releasing episode 7 tomorrow. (releasing each week) Employees are not allowed to post on forums, except our own. We try to let the equipment do the talking for us. We do lurk at times :)

I was a sales manager of Garmin in Vietnam since 1997 to 2008. It is so sad to said that Garmin radar can not sold well in Vietnam at that time. Furuno got more than 90% of Radar market (other is Koden, Garmin, JRC...), even though some customers bought my Garmin radar but they changed to Furuno after using time. Garmin radar is not bad but I think user choose the best always

I am one of those people who just got rid of the Garmin system on my boat and replaced it with Furuno (which is what I had for many years previously). I have over 25 years experience operating recreational radars and I will say flatly that Garmin is just not very good at designing or producing radar. I had a 25kW 6 foot open array so my experience is limited to that and may not apply to their dome units or their solid state radars.

In three years, I had to replace the pedestal twice due to hardware failures. It was handled under warranty but not exactly a positive sign. When I first got the Garmin radar, the sea state and rain filters were so bad that they were almost useless. When set high enough to reduce the noise on screen, they also filtered out many targets. So if it was raining or the seas were rough, you had to tolerate a lot of noise on the screen to see smaller targets. This was greatly improved by a software update about two years ago. The auto tuning on the Garmin was useless and also produced settings that lost targets.

What I found in the end was that with fully manual tuning, I could get pretty decent performance out of the Garmin 25kW open array. It was fine for navigation. By comparison, on my old boat before I got the current one that had the Garmin system, I had a Furuno 12kW 4 foot open array. That radar on full auto was vastly better than the Garmin even at its best with manual tuning. I could see flocks of birds 4-6 miles away, which the Garmin could never do despite having twice the power and a bigger antenna array.

I just got my boat back with the new Furuno equipment, which includes the new high power solid state DRS25A-NXT open array with a six foot antenna. I have only used it for about 8 hours but it is night and day from the Garmin, it is so much better. It can be left on full auto and frankly it's hard to do better with manually tuning it. I am extremely pleased with the DRS25A-NXT and very happy I switched.

So in response to your question I would say this based on my experience. If you do feel budget constrained, given your uses for the radar I would leave the Garmin on board for now and spend some time learning how to tune it manually (and make sure it has the newest software). Perhaps in a year or two you can swap out for a Furuno open array. If you want to have the flexibility of fully networked displays, sell the Garmin stuff but recognize that if you go to a dome, even a though it is a Furuno dome, you will never equal the performance of a large open array even a Garmin one. What you will get with a Furuno dome is a very good navigation radar that works well in auto mode, unlike the Garmin. That's a choice only you can make given how you expect to use the radar and the rest of the electronics.

The current radar is a GMR624 xhd2 4ft 6kw. Im going to sell the Garmin GMR624, 7616XSV, and a 7612 and purchase a TZT3 16 and a DRS4d-NXT dome. I need a fully networked system because I have 2 helms and I need to be able to see radar in both locations. Im not concerned about birds. And our radar usage is fairly limited. If I can mark shrimp boats 10 miles away, rain, and navigate out of the harbor at night, I am fine with that. Just waiting on a 12 pin adapter so I can use my B275LHW with the furuno before I make the jump. I already have the TZT3 12in and DFF3D which I am loving so far.

Back